Safari Problem

Reaction score
Using OSX 10.3.9 w/ Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6).

Suddenly, some web sites won't finish loading. Typically they load (for instance 38 of 39) and then just stop. I've tried a few things ... untoggling the pop-up block ... empting cache ... resetting the browser ... trashing the plist ... Any ideas will be appreciated. I'm guessing it's some kind of scripting error, but although I'm not a Mac novice, I'm a designer type, and not a technician.

— gullwing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Have you tried moving the prefrences files for safart. Then using safari to see if the problem exists. Then moving the prefrences back.

And also do you have any add ons for safari? Those might be causing it.

Also does console app or the activity thingy in safari's window menu show anything useful?

Are you PPC but using a universal version of Safari? I've heard in very rare cases some universal apps can sometimes do weird things on PPC machines. Rare but worth a look into.

Would updating to 10.4 help? I dunno if you can or want to. I don't see this fixing the problem. But as a last resort it's worth a shot.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yep, tried moving preferences, don't have add-ons and I really don't know enough to make sense of the activity window.
Several people have recommended Firefox as being superior to Safari, so I downloaded and installed that. FireFox does now allow me to access some sites which stalled before, but I think I have something else going on. Some sites take 20-30 minutes to launch. Maybe I need to get Roadrunner to check the transfer rate of my modem ... maybe a squirrel ate through the cable.
Thanks for the suggestions B. Joel. Once I solve it, I'll come back and post the solution in case someone else runs into a similiar problem.
— gullwing

OP
G
Reaction score
Problem solved itself

Hello the8thark. Just checking back to say suddenly this morning my access to all web sites is back and at lightening speed. I can't explain it. I spent a complete day trying to solve the problem. I didn't really accomplish anything except to install and get familiar with Firefox, and rebuild directories with DiskWarrior.

At the end of the day I was still left with diagnostics indicating the browsers were having a hard time understanding specific coding on some sites. At this point I'm just glad all is good, but am left with the feeling ... now remember where your coffee cup was when it started working.

I do, however thank you for your suggestions. I heard it was good to talk things out, but didn't realize a computer problem could be solved by ... just talking about it! :)

— gullwing

M

MacHeadCase

Sounds like it was an ISP problem then, gullwing. Unless your Mac needed a restart or a shut down, perhaps?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.