Safari not responding to wifi on mac mini

Reaction score
I recently hooked up a wifi router, it worked for a few days, now Safari 5.1.10 won't respond and neither will software update! Only Chrome works. Weird and maddening.

I have a mac mini OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
I don't think this is enough info to troubleshoot:

1. does it work if you are hardwired to the network?
2. did you have any popup, browser assistant installations in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you need AdwareMedic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I recently hooked up a wifi router, it worked for a few days, now Safari 5.1.10 won't respond and neither will software update! Only Chrome works. Weird and maddening.

I have a mac mini OS X 10.6.8

Please provide some more information: 1) Mac Mini - vintage, i.e. month/year; 2) Wi-Fi brand/model; 3) Have you tried a wired connection to the Mini, as suggested; 4) Are there other Wi-Fi devices in the house that are working w/ the Safari browser; and 5) Have you reset the settings in Safari (not sure what the options are in the older OS X)?

As suggested by Harry, you might have browser malware which Adware Medic may resolve - also 'power recycle' all of your hardware (i.e. pull the plug and/or turn off the switch) - wait a minute or so, then re-power the modem, router, and Mini in that order - post back the answers to the questions above and the results of the suggestions now made in several posts. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.