Safari is no longer supported ...

Reaction score
by many websites. I have Safari 5.1.10 for Snow Leopard. Can I upgrade to another Safari, if so which one?
Thank you in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Safari is tied to the version of OS X you are running and that is likely the latest version supported by Snow Leopard. There have been Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite versions of OS X since Snow Leopard and Safari is sitting at version 8.0.

Your options are to update OS X or switch over to Chrome/Firefox..

OP
damndog
Reaction score
I started off with 10.5.8 (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo). I don't think I can upgrade the OS any further.
Thank you for the reply.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't think I can upgrade the OS any further.

Have you done any research to arrive at this conclusion?? I don't think you have.:(

Any Apple computer with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo cpu can be upgraded to at least OS 10.7.5 (two versions newer than what you have)…and possibly higher depending on your exact computer model.:)

- Nick

OP
damndog
Reaction score
Have you done any research to arrive at this conclusion?? I don't think you have.:(

Any Apple computer with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo cpu can be upgraded to at least OS 10.7.5 (two versions newer than what you have)…and possibly higher depending on your exact computer model.:)

- Nick

I did do my research and in fact I even took my mac to an "authorized" dealer. He said he could only get Snow Leopard to take. He upgraded the RAM and He tried Lion and it would not take.
So I have no idea why it would not take at all.
I am open to suggestions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did do my research and in fact I even took my mac to an "authorized" dealer. He said he could only get Snow Leopard to take. He upgraded the RAM and He tried Lion and it would not take.
So I have no idea why it would not take at all.
I am open to suggestions.

Sounds like this single "authorized dealer" person knows next to nothing about Macintosh computers!:( I prefer to do my research via the internet. This way you can get MANY opinions on a topic very quickly…rather than relying on the single person who may or may not be correct.

This is the reason why you're supposed to get 2nd & 3rd opinions on just about anything. To prevent one single persons opinion from being completely wrong…or somewhere in "left field"!;)

Your first step to upgrading your computers OS is to purchase an OS 10.6 Snow Leopard install disk:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Your 2nd step is tell use EXACTLY what model Mac computer you have…so we can offer you the best advice possible.:)

- Nick

OP
damndog
Reaction score
It has been upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1
Serial Number (system): xxxxxxxx
Hardware UUID: 0BEA258F-EE45-5CDD-8EFF-22D86BDE2D3C
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has been upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Sorry…I got confused.:Confused: I read "10.5.8" in your first post…and thought that was the OS is had currently. But then saw that you mentioned that it is now running Snow Leopard (10.6).:)

This MacBooks max. OS is 10.7.5. If you wanted to upgrade to 10.7.5 ((Lion)…you need to purchase it & install it:

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
damndog
Reaction score
Nick,

Has anyone with my type of Mac have any problems installing Lion?
Is there some where I can find step by step instructions on how to do this myself and not lose any of my existing programs/docs?

I am not very savvy when it comes to this. Thanks for your patience and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Nick,

Is there some where I can find step by step instructions on how to do this myself and not lose any of my existing programs/docs?

I am not very savvy when it comes to this. Thanks for your patience and help.

You actually can install Mavericks on it (10.9) however it is officially unsupported and many things like sound and power management don't work correctly or at all. But thats because Apple no longer ships drivers on Mountain Lion or higher for the Macbook 4,1 and older.

But you should have no issue running Lion what so ever. Your specs are plenty good to run it. Sounds more like the tech you had working on your machine was less educated enough to work on a Mac.

Nick or some of the other forum members may have more information on this. But I googled your question and many are stating you may have needed to upgrade to 10.6 before 10.7 (Lion) could be installed. Seems silly to me, but as long as you have a fast internet connection, you should be able to purchase it from the App Store and installed fairly easily..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have exactly the same computer as you…and it is running Lion (10.7.5)…no problems installing.:)

You won't lose any of your programs/docs. You should back them up first just to be safe…then do the 10.7 install. It's very easy.:)

But…what you want to do first is…make a list of the important programs you have…and what versions they are. Then go to the website "roaringapps.com"…and check the compatibility list for your programs with OS 10.7 (Lion).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You actually can install Mavericks on it (10.9) however it is officially unsupported and many things like sound and power management don't work correctly or at all. But thats because Apple no longer ships drivers on Mountain Lion or higher for the Macbook 4,1 and older.

Not for the novice!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. I will get it a try this weekend. Thanks

To avoid any delays & so you can do it this weekend…I would recommend purchasing Lion ASAP (via the link above). It says that it's supposed to take 1-3 days to get it. It's an internet download…but I guess there must be some sort of human involvement somewhere to process things.

I did the same thing a while ago…but I don't remember how long it took. All I remember is…it wasn't instant.

- Nick

OP
damndog
Reaction score
For backup purposes, does anyone know someone in the Detroit, Michigan area that knows Mac's in and out?
Thanks

Nick,
I will be ordering Lion when I get home tonight. Seriously appreciate all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Not for the novice!;)

- Nick

LOL, thats for sure. Sad part is despite being able to do it, when it is done you left with a computer that is about as useless as a fresh Win95 retail install and no driver disc for anything..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.