Safari infected

Reaction score
My Safari seems to be infected with "Geneio" - a hack from Yahoo that took over my search engine (Google too) and won't delete. Also, today sometimes, when I click on anything, or am typing, I get rerouted to MacKeeper (mostly) and other sites!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Was there a question…or just letting us know about the situation?

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Getting rid of Geneio is tricky. Search this forum for what others have had to do.

Reaction score
Adware Medic will get rid of it. The problem is that this Geneio blocks the site when you try to download the Adware Medic, and redirects you to a page unfound site.

What I had to do is go to my library files. I went through all of them looking for anything that said Geneio and then deleting. Once I had done that I still had not gotten rid of it. So in frustration I tried to download Adware again. This time it worked. I'm assuming that I got enough of the Geneio that it was no longer blocking the site.

Once I ran Adware it took care of it. BTW, if you go to Safari>Preferences and take a look at your extensions, you'll probably find something that says "InstallMac" or something of that type. It's related to geniou It has an uninstaller. I wouldn't use that, it doesn't work. I'd wait until you've gotten to where you can run the Adware Medic, and then check to see if it's still there. I think if I recall the Adware removed that.

The author of Adware also has instructions somewhere on his website on how to manually remove geneio. I tried to use those, however they really didn't work that well for me. Again, what worked for me was to delete any reference to it in my Library files, and then ultimately download Adware Medic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not tricky at all. AdWare Medic will get rid of it.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

And avoid downloads from softonic and CNET who include these little delights in their packages. Also not using Avast AV I trust as this does likewise?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.