Safari does not like Gmail !!

Reaction score
I don't know why but Safari just can't go to my Gmail account. It opens every other link but just does not want to open the Gmail link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Describe what not worked means. Do you get a failure from Safari that you can share? Does the site even load? Do you fail authentication? What version of Safari?

OP
J
Reaction score
I use Safari 8.0.2. When I click on a link for Gmail, I can see that Safari starts to go to the link but it stucks at about 15% of the progress line and does not move from there.

When I use the same lnk with Firefox, no problem.

I find also that Safari is also slower than Firefox on other links as well but at least, it gets there.

Thanks a lot for your help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had an issue with any version of Safari logging into my account at mail.gmail.com. I will check Yosemite and see if something has changed that affects it.

PS, Just tried it in latest Safari in Yosemite and my account goes right in every time.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
I have Yosemite too and I tried everything I could and no way, Safari woud not connect with my Gmail account. Everything else is ok.

It is really weird as a few weeks ago, it connected without a problem ???

Thanks anyway for caring. I appreciate.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you try resetting safari to default settings and then trying again?

Also, what extensions do you have running with Safari? You might want to disable all of them and try.

Failing all that, create a new account temporarily and try to use Safari and your GMail account on that account..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.