Safari Content

Reaction score
I am running late 2013 iMac, 16gs ram and the latest Sierra.

Safari is getting more troublesome as time goes by. It was not loading various menus and other problems. I disabled all extensions (Ghostery and Block Ad Pro) and erased all "website data." This solved about 60% of problems. For instance, I would go to ESPN scores and get the top 25. When I selected a specific conference, nothing happened. Now, I can get the specific conference scores.

What is still not working is various other drop down menus and a few other things such as trying to check out a purchase on some sites. Good example is I go to the LPGA leaderboard, and that's fine. I then select My Leaderboard and the leaderboard appears, is filled with color but no text or scores. This worked fine 6 months ago. Happens also when shopping. Shows the specific item with prices, etc. but the picture is blank or with ? mark. On some sites nothing happens which a drop down menu and/or link to an item on that site is selected.

All of this, before and after, works fine in Chrome. I've read some suggestions re going into Terminal and doing various things. I'm not as technically savvy as most of you and prefer to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions would be welcome.

M

MacInWin

Put back Ghostery and AdBlock. What they do is block content you don't want, which is a good thing.

Symptoms like yours point to a DNS issue. A poorly performing DNS location can cause slowness in completion of screen content. Open System Preferences and Network, Click on the WiFi interface in the window on the left, then Advanced, and finally DNS. The DNS servers listed are the ones your system is using to resolve names of URLs into numeric identifiers for navigating the Internet. You might want to add a few options to that list just in case the ones you have are slow. A couple of options are OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. To enter them just click on the "+" box, type in the number and then Return. You can then drag/drop them into whatever order you want networking to use.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I tried all of the above DNS servers and it did not make a difference. I did determine that Block Add Pro was the extension that had been preventing the drop down menu for the football scores.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I did determine that Block Add Pro was the extension that had been preventing the drop down menu for the football scores.

Quite possible; but all you have to do is whitelist that specific site (and any others that come along) - one click on the Safari Menu Bar AdBlock Plus icon does that. But whatever you do, don't uninstall Ghostery or AdBlock Plus. Both are a godsend in protection.

There are alternatives such as uBlock and uBlock Origin.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.