Safari 8 auto quits - I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
Having updated to Yosemite and Safari 8 everything seems ok but I have noticed that when I close Safari using the red button, and leave the computer running, after a while the dot below it's icon on the dock has disappeared indicating that it has quit.

I never actually 'quit' Safari manually and wonder if it now has some form of new auto quit fitted or has the older version always done that and I just haven't noticed??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There shouldn't be anything that auto-quits the application. Did you leave Safari on an empty page or a particular website? If a website, perhaps something from the site caused a crash..

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
When I close Safari by using the red button whatever I was doing last will also be closed and next time I open the browser it will be at my usual home page.

After it has been closed by that method, at some stage, the dot below disappears indicating that it has actually quit. I don't yet know how long it takes before quitting or whether another program I use after closing it has caused it to quit.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any crashed app should get you a "your program crashed" message from OS X and ask you about reporting the issue. If you aren't getting that, not sure what is going on to quit the app..

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for getting back.

I'll do a few more checks and timings etc and get back tomorrow.

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari is NOT quitting it's just the dot below the icon on the dock that is disappearing after about 30 minutes and it looks like it's only the Safari icon that is affected.

EDIT
Just done a further test and left all of the dock icons open with the little dot below showing including Safari. 30 minutes later, exactly, the dot below Safari was gone but all of the others remained.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After updating to Yosemite, I am currently using Safari again as opposed to Chrome as my default browser and I've had Safari running for a few days now and the dot remains on this and other open apps without fail..

I will keep an eye on it as well and see if it disappears at any time..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
Having updated to Yosemite and Safari 8 everything seems ok but I have noticed that when I close Safari using the red button, and leave the computer running, after a while the dot below it's icon on the dock has disappeared indicating that it has quit.

I never actually 'quit' Safari manually and wonder if it now has some form of new auto quit fitted or has the older version always done that and I just haven't noticed??

You don't have the option selected that says (I'm paraphrasing) "Closing window closes applicatio " do ya?

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks both for your responses.

All settings are as they should be but, bear in mind drgumvudu, the application is not actually closing as I first thought it was, it is just the dot disappearing that creates the impression it has closed.

It's just bit odd and nothing appears to be affected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM

Safari is NOT quitting it's just the dot below the icon on the dock that is disappearing after about 30 minutes and it looks like it's only the Safari icon that is affected.

EDIT
Just done a further test and left all of the dock icons open with the little dot below showing including Safari. 30 minutes later, exactly, the dot below Safari was gone but all of the others remained.

You are not alone. I got the same issue here... don't know why. :Not-Amused:

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank god you have noticed this issue as well.

After prolonged testing I now have to report that Safari is definitely QUITTING after 30 mins. It does NOT remain active.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quitting only when suspended or not suspended? I've been running my Safari for a few days on one of the Spaces and through sleep/wake cycles the dot and application have remained alive and usable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quitting only when suspended or not suspended? I've been running my Safari for a few days on one of the Spaces and through sleep/wake cycles the dot and application have remained alive and usable..

Yea, me too. I just left my safari on after closing the window with the red button for well over an hour and never saw the dot go away so it must be symptomatic of something and not necessarily inherent in Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, me too. I just left my safari on after closing the window with the red button for well over an hour and never saw the dot go away so it must be symptomatic of something and not necessarily inherent in Yosemite.

In my case (i guess it is also Pine Man's case), after closing Safari's window with the red-x button (as what I did on Mavericks), Safari would quit after some time automatically without any notification or crash info (= the dot indicating "running" on my dock would be gone), even though I am still working with other applications... :\

Now, I am testing, by having the option Preferences>Advanced> Internet Plug-ins unchecked (Stop Plug-ins to Save Power)...

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to sum up my symptoms as I have been making a few erroneous assumptions!

When I close Safari with the red button the dot remains below the icon on the dock. Right clicking on the icon gives me the option to Quit. After 30 minutes the dot disappears and right clicking on the icon does not give me the option to Quit. This does not happen with any other icons as I have opened all the icons on the dock and closed them with the red button BUT only Safari quits after 30 minutes.

I wish I was able to say it never happened with Mavericks but the indicator below the icons was not as obvious then so I really am not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just to sum up my symptoms as I have been making a few erroneous assumptions!

When I close Safari with the red button the dot remains below the icon on the dock. Right clicking on the icon gives me the option to Quit. After 30 minutes the dot disappears and right clicking on the icon does not give me the option to Quit. This does not happen with any other icons as I have opened all the icons on the dock and closed them with the red button BUT only Safari quits after 30 minutes.

I wish I was able to say it never happened with Mavericks but the indicator below the icons was not as obvious then so I really am not sure.

Pine man and I are in the same boat. I just timed it, after around 30 minutes (just as Pine Man said), my closed-Safari QUITTED by itself when I was working on my documents. No any crash notification/report pops out. It never happened on my Mavericks or any OS before it. Wondering if any extension or plug-in causes it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, what extensions do ya both have running?

OP
pine man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being fairly new to Macs I think I only have Adblock and Flash Player.

If it's relevant I also use MS Office, Quicken, Photoshop Elements and CCC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being fairly new to Macs I think I only have Adblock and Flash Player.

If it's relevant I also use MS Office, Quicken, Photoshop Elements and CCC.

Did you look under safari preferences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.