Safari 8.0 running slow in Yosemite 10.10.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro + 27" iMac
I have been suffering from Safari running slowly in accessing certain webpages etc since upgrading to Yosemite. I haven't seen a discussion on this on Mac-Forums but there has been quite an extensive one on Apple's discussions site at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6617931?start=0&tstart=0
There have been numerous suggested remedies in that discussion including:
* clearing cache
* resetting network connections
* turning off IPv6
* adding OpenDNS addresses
and several other things besides. Having undertaken some of these I have seen some improvement in performance but life is still not perfect.
Needless to say, there does not seem to be any acknowledgement from Apple that there is an issue.
Any additional ideas about what to do would be appreciated by me and others who have been suffering. Equally, working out how to get Apple to say they are doing something about it would also be useful.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Needless to say, there does not seem to be any acknowledgement from Apple that there is an issue.
Any additional ideas about what to do would be appreciated by me and others who have been suffering. Equally, working out how to get Apple to say they are doing something about it would also be useful.

There has been an issue regarding poor WiFi or intermittent WiFi connectivity with Yosemite. Apple updated Yosemite with 10.10.1 which was supposed to address WiFi problems, however, on line journals and Macworld have reported that the problems still exist for some.

I don't think the problem you're having is the same though. On this side of the pond and with my ISP and Safari 8, I have not noticed any slowdowns as far as accessing any particular web page. Have you tried using another browser such as Chrome or Firefox to see if you're having the same problem?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro + 27" iMac
That's one of the interesting things about the problem; Chrome and Firefox are unaffected by the issue. A good example, which I've just tried, is accessing Google Maps which is instant on Chrome and Firefox and takes forever on Safari (sometimes it eventually connects and others it doesn't). Others who have commented on this also have no problem with Chrome and Firefox. The obvious answer is to switch to either of these but that then doesn't satisfy the issue that a previously good program now no longer isn't.
A couple of further points. First, the delays in connection are not universal; for many links the connection is good. Secondly, the upgrades to Yosemite were done by straight download and not by clean install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.