Running 2015 15" rMBP with no battery

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 15" retina macbook pro which has bloated batteries, but the machine otherwise works.

Until I can get it repaired, I've disconnected the battery in the machine. I thought I would be able to run the machine straight off the charger, but it seems that this is not the case.

If I try to do so, the machine boots to the login screen, but once I enter the password and hit enter, the loading bar progresses but then the machine reboots itself before reaching the desktop. As a sanity check, I plugged the battery back in and the machine booted fine. Is running straight off of the charger not supported? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Is running straight off of the charger not supported?

Some MacBooks and MacBook Pros will operate with just the charger attached (no battery). Mostly that was the case with older units. The newer models (yours included) need to have the battery installed and functional in order to work properly.

My advice is to remove the battery entirely before it further damages the machine. And do not use your MacBook Pro until you replace the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
I +1 what chscag has said

the MacBook Pro will not run correctly without its battery hence why your hitting a block every time you try to log in,

and again id say the same remove the battery and get a replacement one before using the machine as if the battery swells too much it will distort the MacBook frame.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.