Run Windows from USB drive

Reaction score
I am guessing I already know the answer to my question based on a lack of threads here and a blank search on the web.

There are lots of tutorials running through setting up Windows on a Mac, but is it possible to run Windows from a USB? I have limited space available on my SSD and will rarely need to use Windows so would prefer not to install on my SSD.

Previously I used to use Remote IE from Microsoft and just RDP to it from Microsoft Remote Desktop but that hasn't been available for a long while and not looking like it is coming back soon.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am guessing I already know the answer to my question based on a lack of threads here and a blank search on the web.

I like to help folks with their questions/issues...and at the same time like to help folks get better at finding answers.:) Instead of giving a direct answer to the question...I will provide the tool to find the answer.:)

Lots & lots of information to this question (not a "blank search on the web").;) What may be missing is the proper search term. If you use this search term...you will find lots of answers:

"Macintosh running Windows from an external drive.":)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are lots of tutorials running through setting up Windows on a Mac, but is it possible to run Windows from a USB? I have limited space available on my SSD and will rarely need to use Windows so would prefer not to install on my SSD.

The legal and proper answer to your question is no. However, a little searching as Nick suggested above should yield several work arounds that you can test. Note, however, that running some versions of Windows from USB would be in violation of the MS EULA. I believe the enterprise version of Windows 10 can be run from an external drive. You might want to explore that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
chscag is definitely correct. We do not endorse illegal or improper computing activities. If the search term above suggests doing illegal or improper things (things against the Windows EULA)...then don't do them!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.