Run Linux directly on a Mac

Reaction score
Since Linux is based on Unix & OS X is based on Unix, I wonder if it is possible to directly run Linux, or any Unix-based OS, on a Mac instead of thru VMWare or some such virtualization software.

I wonder if anyone has tried to do it.

C

chas_m

I haven't tried it in a few years, but the answer is yes, you can if you like. You can run Linux either in virtualization (using a program like Parallels, et al) or directly by erasing the hard drive (or partitioning it) and installing Linux. As far as I know, it supports ever flavour of Linux (I've only ever used Ubuntu, and wasn't impressed enough to stick with it).

Reaction score
People have been doing it for years. I used to run Yellow Dog linux on my PPC Blue&White.
People run Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat etc.
Even......Windows.
Oh, and it's actually based on BSD, not Unix.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since Linux is based on Unix
It was designed to work like Unix and isn't based on it. ;)

Oh, and it's actually based on BSD, not Unix.
BSD is Unix. ;)

...and that's enough pedantic van today.

One thing to keep an eye out for are Mac specific instructions. For example, here's an Ubuntu doc for MacBook Pros.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wow, a Thanksgiving rumble to provide pre football entertainment. Texan vs. Canadian. OK gents lets keep things fair. Come out swinging at the sound of the system bong.:D

Van put away the hockey stick.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wow, a Thanksgiving rumble to provide pre football entertainment. Texan vs. Canadian. OK gents lets keep things fair. Come out swinging at the sound of the system bong.:D

Van put away the hockey stick.

He has had his so called thanksgiving a month ago so he is throwing his Knowledge of Linux at us! :Angry-Tongue:

Happy Thanksgiving anyway Van! Go eat some Poutine! :D

Reaction score
I got my Stetson on, bring on the hockey stick! :)
Happy Thanksgiving all! Pig out on that turkey an stuff. Me, I got roast, Mmmm Mmmm.
Also at work til 1:00 so bah humbug and all that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hey! Go pick your nits somewhere else! :p
Berkeley Software Distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See there where it says "Unix-like"? (walks away flipping a quarter and whistling) :)
OS X:
OS X /ˌoʊ ɛs ˈtɛn/, formerly known as Mac OS X, is a series of Unix-based graphical interface operating systems developed and marketed by Apple Inc.

Apparently, all the BSD variants are Unix-like except for OS X (see here). So, the BSD at the core of OS X is Unix. I'll just take that quarter from you now and start my own whistling. :p

He has had his so called thanksgiving a month ago so he is throwing his Knowledge of Linux at us! :Angry-Tongue:
So called? Pfft, not my fault you're celebrating late. ;)

M

MacInWin

Somebody make a video! Stetsons, hockey sticks, turkey and Poutine! What a visual spectacle that will make!

Reaction score
honestly you can install linux the question is are you going to keep mac os x as well if so you will constantly get a error that the linux partition cannot be read by mac os x do you want to ignore or erase this is the only problem with running linux

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Somebody make a video! Stetsons, hockey sticks, turkey and Poutine! What a visual spectacle that will make!

ROTFL If we're taking bets my money is on the Texan. Probably got something a little stronger than a hockey stick under that Stetson. :D

BTW Craig since I'm getting the big head that Stetson probably wouldn't fit would it? :D

Reaction score
BTW Craig since I'm getting the big head that Stetson probably wouldn't fit would it? :D
Do you know how big ten gallons is? Course you might punch the crease out a lil bit...:Smirk:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ROTFL If we're taking bets my money is on the Texan. Probably got something a little stronger than a hockey stick under that Stetson. :D
You do know that, despite our peaceful demeanour (very much a stereotype - there are quite a few jerks from St. John's to Victoria), we live and breathe one of the most violent sports? You don't want an angry Canadian. ;)

But yes, back to the question. Underneath it all, a Mac is mostly commodity hardware with some proprietary bits thrown in. Thus, the need to find instructions to account for the minor nuances that might complicate things.

Is there a particular distro that you prefer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
we live and breath one of the most violent
breath? I think you meant breathe. Gonna make a redneck outta you yet.

OP, your best bet will probably be Ubuntu.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed I did mean breathe. But, for the sake of not admitting fault, I absolutely meant breath. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
I haven't tried it in a few years, but the answer is yes, you can if you like. You can run Linux either in virtualization (using a program like Parallels, et al) or directly by erasing the hard drive (or partitioning it) and installing Linux. As far as I know, it supports every flavour of Linux (I've only ever used Ubuntu, and wasn't impressed enough to stick with it).

OK, I have another question. One can build a PC & install Linux directly on it. Apparently, one can also install Linux directly on a Mac. I've seen YouTube videos about building a Hackintosh & installing OS X on it. Isn't that a violation of the license agreement that one clicks "Agree" on when installing OS X?

Reaction score
And that is the reason you wont find any threads, posts, conversations about it on these forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.