Rudimentary question on CD copying...

Reaction score
Hi there,

Embarrassingly enough, I have never copied a music CD. Prior to now, I have always used my stereo when playing music CDs.

If I were to copy a music CD to play on my Mac, is it simply dragging its contents onto the hard-drive?

Many thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi there,

Embarrassingly enough, I have never copied a music CD. Prior to now, I have always used my stereo when playing music CDs.

If I were to copy a music CD to play on my Mac, is it simply dragging its contents onto the hard-drive?

Many thanks in advance.

You can use a program like Toast to do a straight CD to CD copy. You can also "rip" the CD onto your hard drive with iTunes and then burn it back to a new disc by putting the ripped tracks into a Playlist and then using the burn-to disc option.

Reaction score
I only concur with what cwa107 said.

My personal favourite (and free option) is to Import the CD using iTunes and then Burning those Track to a fresh disc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For coping music from my Music CD's to the Hard Drive on my Macs I just use iTunes like was stated above. Works fast and perfectly. When I insert an Audio CD iTunes asks me if I want to add it to my library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
My personal favourite (and free option) is to Import the CD using iTunes and then Burning those Track to a fresh disc.

I couldn't agree more. That's the real deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Here's a little reading:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303599

You can also put an audio cd into the computer and when it mounts on the desk top, double click its icon and that will open it's contents in a finder window. You can then drag and drop the files into any folder you like. But the easiest way is by far itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D
Doesn't using iTunes degrade the audio quality though? What's the best way to rip and copy CDs without using MP3 format?

M

MacHeadCase

iTunes, of course! Because in its preferences you can choose which format to use for the import.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iTunes, of course! Because in its preferences you can choose which format to use for the import.

To expand upon what MHC already said, as long as you choose a "lossless" format, it should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I had no idea that a LOT of tasks were that easy with MAC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Intel Duo 2
On this note, i have several videos in avi format (use vlc to play them) on my MB. If i were to copy them onto a cd through finder, would I be able to then watch those videos on a pc? gracias

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.