router questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
Wireless capability just ceased [currently using network cables] on my old Linksys WRT54G router and am looking at getting a different router.

I use a Mac ['11 model] and my wife uses Windows-based laptops. While the Linksys has been a dependable router [about 12+ years], I noticed that [on the Mac] it would constantly be bouncing between 'connected' and 'looking' for the wifi network*. I would like to get a different router [not necessarily new/latest] that is good for both types of computers.

Current router is listed as 54Mbps and I am only testing at about 30Mbps -- not sure if it is limiting my downloads. Comcast ISP and we do not download large files or stream movies/music -- Only basic internet activity.

Looking for suggestions on types/models of routers that would be compatible/usable.

Thanks

edit: Is the 54Mbps in actuality {less and} limiting my speed to around 30Mbps? I do understand cable speed fluctuates depending on those nearby that are using it.

* I have read that the Linksys does not work that well with Macs [it was on the internet -- must be true]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Wireless capability just ceased [currently using network cables] on my old Linksys WRT54G router and am looking at getting a different router.

I use a Mac ['11 model] and my wife uses Windows-based laptops. While the Linksys has been a dependable router [about 12+ years],......... I would like to get a different router [not necessarily new/latest] that is good for both types of computers.

Current router is listed as 54Mbps and I am only testing at about 30Mbps -- not sure if it is limiting my downloads. Comcast ISP and we do not download large files or stream movies/music -- Only basic internet activity.

edit: Is the 54Mbps in actuality {less and} limiting my speed to around 30Mbps? I do understand cable speed fluctuates depending on those nearby that are using it.

Hello - my first router was a Linksys B, second was your G model - then got a Cisco N which did not work well w/ my new iMac purchased two years ago, so bought an Apple AirPort Extreme.

Attached is a chart of the Wi-Fi protocols and standards - your router's most recent standard (an old one now) is 802.11g which has a maximum speed of 54 Mbps - your bottleneck is usually the ISP provider being used; for myself, my AirPort Extreme is 802.11n is getting on the average about 20 Mbps download speeds (i.e. Time-Warner, my ISP, is throttling my bandwidth), which varies throughout the day.

As to a 'new' router, I would suggest at least going to the 802.11n standard and would suggest a wireless router broadcasting dual bandwidths (2.4 & 5 GHz) - there are numerous possibilities, e.g. see Amazon HERE just for numerous choices - look & read the ratings, especially comments on using the router in a 'mixed' computer environment (Macs & PCs) - the standards apply to both but my Cisco router (when I was on PCs) did not work well w/ my new Apple computers.

Apple offers 3 choices - see HERE: 1) AirPort Express; 2) AirPort Extreme; and 3) Time Capsule (which is just the Extreme w/ storage added) - if you do not have a LOT of Wi-Fi devices in your home, then the AirPort Express may suffice and is their least expensive option, if you want to consider an Apple product - I'm sure others will 'chime in' w/ their suggestions and comments. Good luck in your choice - Dave :)

WiFiTable.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 Imac 27"
I had an older router like that with almost the same specs and it was time to change. My worst problem was I had to reset the router frequently as it would disconnect and/or lock up.

After a lot of research I went with an Asus RT-AC56U that I purchased from Amazon for $100. The router not only does N but AC as well and is a dual band model. Extremely easy to set up and I've not had to reboot it in the 5 months that I've had it.

I use it with my iMac and windows machines hardwired and with my iPad wirelessly and it's a great little router.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DES2FQW/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.