Router Question

Reaction score
Currently on my PC i am running a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless 802.11 G router and am having no problems with any of my WiFi devices. When i get the iMac i am going to be installing a wireless NIC into the Windows machine and run the router off of the iMac. Will the Microsoft Router work on the Mac (Most likely not)? If not, which router should i go with thats PC and Mac friendly? I am awaiting the delivery of my 24" Core 2 Duo iMac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never seen or used a Microsoft Router and in fact did not even know they made one! I would say it should work. OSX uses the exact same protocols as Windows or Linux. Here at my place I have Dlink, Linksys, Netgear and they all work with all my Macs.

I would say wait and try it. There is a very good chance all will be fine. I see no reason it will not.

Edit, it looks decent, even has SPI in the Firewall. Let us know how it goes!!

Reaction score
I have a Linksys wrt54gl that has never given any trouble, you can install dd-wrt and add lots of extra features. Or, you can look at www.ipcop.org. They show you how to convert an old pc into a stand alone router/firewall. Its totally Linux based and very sturdy. You would need WAP if you go that route though.

OP
V
Reaction score
The Microsoft MN-700 works excellent, even though it has no Print Server on board for either the wired and wireless version of the router. The Router has a desktop utility that allows you to make all your network changes on your desktop without the need to enter an IP Address into a URL Bar, which is a lot more easier to do then loggin on to a Linksys or D-Link router. The range is great and it has all types of firewalls and security settings. No 802.11 N on it but then again not too many devices have that output standard yet. My iBook can get onto the network fine with no problems, i just have not wired a Mac directly to the router yet. When my Windows machine gave me the blue screen i was still bale to log on to the network without the Windows Machine operating and all my settings for security were in place so the router should work on my iMac when i wire it in Monday. I'll keep everyone posted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you connect a computer via an Ethernet connection to a router, the computer could really care less what type of hardware you're connecting it to. All it knows is that it gets its IP configuration from a DHCP server and is now on a network, allowing the default gateway to provide it with a doorway to the Internet.

It really doesn't matter if you're running a Mac, Windows, or Linux. It's a straight Ethernet, TCP/IP connection.

In theory, the same should be true for wireless, but those protocols are not as mature and some of the features are proprietary - so it gets a little more complex in that situation. But since you're planning on using a wired connection, I don't see it as being a problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I thought you were talking about connecting Wireless to it with the iMac. Like CWA107 said, wired will be no problem at all.

Reaction score
have you tried using a MB to connect to a Linksys WRT54GS router? I can connect with a self assigned IP address, but can't actually log into the router.

OP
V
Reaction score
The MN-700 works fine with the iMac being directly plugged into it, the GUI that was installed on my PC did not have to be installed on my new mac. The connection rate is great as well and my PC is not losing any speed what so ever. The router GUI on my PC recognized the new wireless card i installed as well so i did not have to do any reconfiguring.

I am not a new user to the Mac OS but i am new to the whole Intel C2D Mac's and its amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.