rMBP purchase decision

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a MGXA2LL/A. On the Apple store, it's $1999. At Best Buy, it's $1799. However, it's only $1499 at this online store: Apple MacBook Pro 15 4 With Retina Display 2 2GHz Intel Core i7 Laptop Computer - MGXA2LL A

I'm wondering if anyone's heard of them or done business with them in the past, or if it's even worth buying from here? I've had good communication with the store so far. They seem to have a good track record and feedback score on eBay. I'm wondering how the price difference can be so large? Also, they only sell iPhones on ebay and not macbooks so I'm wondering if it's something to worry about. Please advise.

C

chas_m

The reason they can sell it cheaper is because (a) it's over a year old, and (b) it's out of warranty. The one from the refurb store ($1700, incidentally) or the one from Best Buy (and of course the newer one from Apple) have warranties.

I would imagine this place you've found is just a dealer reselling a recent-model MBP they got either because they repaired it or they just acquired it cheaply. Is it stolen? Is it legit? No idea, but I wouldn't buy it without a warranty given that for $200 more (if you act quickly) you could get a refurb'd one with a full one-year warranty (and opportunity to buy three year's coverage with AppleCare).

OP
P
Reaction score
The reason they can sell it cheaper is because (a) it's over a year old, and (b) it's out of warranty. The one from the refurb store ($1700, incidentally) or the one from Best Buy (and of course the newer one from Apple) have warranties.

I would imagine this place you've found is just a dealer reselling a recent-model MBP they got either because they repaired it or they just acquired it cheaply. Is it stolen? Is it legit? No idea, but I wouldn't buy it without a warranty given that for $200 more (if you act quickly) you could get a refurb'd one with a full one-year warranty (and opportunity to buy three year's coverage with AppleCare).

I already had an extensive discussion with the seller in question. This was his response regarding this concern:
Hi Prasad,

Thanks for the mail enquiry,

This is the latest Apple MacBook Pro and its brand new, factory sealed with complete accessories and product comes with 1 year international warranty.

We deal directly with the manufacturer that's why we're able to trade at discounted rate.

Kindly keep us informed if you require any further information.

Best Regards,
Richard Briceno.

Reg No: 08858498 | VAT: GB179327375
UK Address: 12 Broyd View, Lancaster, LA1 4WF, United Kingdom
US Address: 5885 Gulf Freeway Suite 630, Texas City, TX 77591
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.wrsmartphonewarehouse.com

Please tell me what you make of this. Maybe I'm just looking for issues where there might be none, but then again the price is absurdly low.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They are not authorized Apple resellers. If the entire site is not just a scam, any remaining warranty will be from they date the unit was originally purchased, not from the date you purchase it. You could end up just being out whatever money you give them - maybe more once they have your CC info.

OP
P
Reaction score
They are not authorized Apple resellers. If the entire site is not just a scam, any remaining warranty will be from they date the unit was originally purchased, not from the date you purchase it. You could end up just being out whatever money you give them - maybe more once they have your CC info.

Thanks. I opted to spend $200 more and have purchased it from B&H.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Great decision! It's VERY VERY rare for a seller/retailer to be able to sell a brand new current model Apple computer for $500 less than Apple is selling it for…and the deal be legitimate.

You very well might have sent this place your $1499…and received in return, a package with a brick in it!:( Saving a theoretical $300 vs. the Best Buy price is not worth it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Great decision! It's VERY VERY rare for a seller/retailer to be able to sell a brand new current model Apple computer for $500 less than Apple is selling it for…and the deal be legitimate.

I agree with the overall guidance and advice, and I would be careful to advise the reader to take note of Pigoo's use of the word "current." He's right that a price differential like that on a new model is unusual.

That said, in late 2009 I bought a sealed-in-box discontinued MacBook from Best Buy (an authorized Apple dealer). Despite the model's being about 9 months out of "current" the Apple warranty started on the day I registered it. And I got it for $450 off the original selling price.

The real lesson here is to stick with reputable, authorized dealers. (Btw, I love B&H: awesome services and prices.)

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks again, guys. I'm really not an Apple fan, never owned any Apple device before either and I detest the iPhone. :p I just need the mac to develop with xcode, since I want my Android apps on the Apple market too. This is why I had no idea what the reputable sources are, to begin with.

And yes, B&H was incredibly fast with the shipping.. Very impressed! A much different and pleasing experience than the custom laptop I had build earlier that took almost a month on back-order.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..and I would be careful to advise the reader to take note of Pigoo's use of the word "current."

You hit the nail on the head with the word "current"!:)

If this was a previous generation model then that $1499 price could make sense.

- Nick

p.s. This computer model actually now is a previous model...due to the new models Apple just announced like an hour ago. The timing is SO CLOSE...I wonder if this website is legit...and they somehow adjusted their prices BEFORE today's new model announcements??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You may want to QUICKLY review the new models Apple just announced! And decide wheher or not to delay your purchase decision or cancel your order.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
You may want to QUICKLY review the new models Apple just announced! And decide wheher or not to delay your purchase decision or cancel your order.

- Nick

You hit the nail on the head with the word "current"!:)

If this was a previous generation model then that $1499 price could make sense.

- Nick

p.s. This computer model actually now is a previous model...due to the new models Apple just announced like an hour ago. The timing is SO CLOSE...I wonder if this website is legit...and they somehow adjusted their prices BEFORE today's new model announcements??

Can I get a link to this announcement? Usually, how long is it before the products hit the market after announcement?

EDIT: Found some info. I don't think they announced a new 15" laptop, did they? Also, does B&H accept cancellations after shipping?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I get a link to this announcement? Usually, how long is it before the products hit the market after announcement?

Just go to Apple.com (Apple online store). Shipping time for the new models says 1-3 business days.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Just go to Apple.com (Apple online store). Shipping time for the new models says 1-3 business days.:)

- Nick

Thanks! Does B&H accept cancellations after issuing me a shipping label?

EDIT: I'm chatting with B&H now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
You got it. Checking with B&H is the way to go!:)

- Nick

I'm really excited about the new rMBP 13". :D Seems like I can't cancel the B&H order since they already shipped, but they said I can refuse the package on arrival for a full refund.

How long does it usually take for AAR (Apple Authorized Resellers) to get the new revised laptops? I'm looking to buy with B&H again if it's available soon enough, as I'd like to avoid paying the unnecessary extra $100 (tax) at the Apple online store.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long does it usually take for AAR (Apple Authorized Resellers) to get the new revised laptops? I'm looking to buy with B&H again if it's available soon enough, as I'd like to avoid paying the unnecessary extra $100 (tax) at the Apple online store.

I personally have no idea. You could either keep checking the B&H website…or contact them directly (email, phone, online chat, etc.). They probably have some sort of idea compared to previous new model releases.

For the most part…great timing for you. New models announced right at the time you were ready to buy. Probably better performance & features…and for probably around the same price.:)

Of course I'm sure we will be hearing from folks who purchased a new rMBP 1, 2, or 3 weeks ago…and will now be upset with new models being announced (it happens every time new models are released).

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I personally have no idea. You could either keep checking the B&H website…or contact them directly (email, phone, online chat, etc.). They probably have some sort of idea compared to previous new model releases.

For the most part…great timing for you. New models announced right at the time you were ready to buy. Probably better performance & features…and for probably around the same price.:)

Of course I'm sure we will be hearing from folks who purchased a new rMBP 1, 2, or 3 weeks ago…and will now be upset with new models being announced (it happens every time new models are released).

- Nick

Thanks again! B&H just said it might take 1-4 weeks depending on demand, but I'm wondering if it's substantially different with any of the other resellers. That's clearly not quick enough. I'll place the order with Apple now :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks again, guys. I'm really not an Apple fan, never owned any Apple device before either and I detest the iPhone. :p I just need the mac to develop with xcode, since I want my Android apps on the Apple market too. This is why I had no idea what the reputable sources are, to begin with.
If you're just looking to put Android apps on the App Store, you might be better using something like PhoneGap or Flex, both of which are free, cross-platform (Windows and OS X) and build iOS and Android apps. If you develop apps using those frameworks, you can save yourself significant amounts of money.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you're just looking to put Android apps on the App Store, you might be better using something like PhoneGap or Flex, both of which are free, cross-platform (Windows and OS X) and build iOS and Android apps. If you develop apps using those frameworks, you can save yourself significant amounts of money.

Holy ****! I always assumed coding for apple was exclusively on apple. Are there Windows/Linux based iOS emulators as well, for testing?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Holy ****! I always assumed coding for apple was exclusively on apple. Are there Windows/Linux based iOS emulators as well, for testing?
As someone with two apps in the App Store who has never written more than 3 lines in XCode before, I can assure you that you don't need to use Apple's official tools.

There aren't any emulators but you could just test on a real iOS device (which is still cheaper than buying a Mac and has the added benefit of being an actual iOS device).

You can get simulators for some of those cross-platform frameworks that simulate more generic mobile environments. Flex, the framework I use, has a simulator that will probably work for 95% of what you need out of a simulator (what it can't do is things with the camera, which the iOS simulator can't do either and geolocation which the iOS simulator can do).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.