right...

M

Maxwell Murder

sorry to harp on about usb 2.0.

I've been told that I can set up a firewire hub that has a USB 2.0 port on it, then plug my high-speed usb 2.0 device into the said USB 2.0 hub and transfer my data from the device to the computer via the firewire connection, only at firewire speeds.

Is this true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am pretty sure that the hubs you are thinking of plug into the FireWire and USB ports. To get the USB 2.0 Speeds it must be plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I don't think you can just plug it into the firewire port and have the Firewire and USB ports accessing the firewire speeds

OP
B

Badger

The transfer speed is the speed of the slowest device in the chain. In other words hooking a USB 2 hub into an eMac is not going to transform the eMac USB port speed to USB 2.
Badger

OP
C

Chamorro

Maxwell Murder said:
sorry to harp on about usb 2.0.

I've been told that I can set up a firewire hub that has a USB 2.0 port on it, then plug my high-speed usb 2.0 device into the said USB 2.0 hub and transfer my data from the device to the computer via the firewire connection, only at firewire speeds.

Is this true?

I have not seen a hub like this. FireWire/USB hubs that I know of are just like buying two separate hubs, only they share the same enclosure. They do not allow FireWire>USB conversion (or vice versa).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
it is guarenteed to be that the hub is firewire and usb 2 built into one so it is more convienient (sp?) it doesn't turn firewire into usb2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.