Right Click

Reaction score
I have a question about right-clicking in bootcamp.

I understand that Macs don't have a right click option (and don't need it), but if I were to get an iMac and run Windows on it through Bootcamp and plug in a mouse that has a left and right click button, will I be able to use the right click function as normal? What are the alternatives for right clicking on a Mac? Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hello Welcome to the Forums.

Mac DO support right click. In your case with an iMac, you can just plug in a wireless mouse or wired for that matter and it will work with no problems on the Mac OS X. Using Boot Camp and Windows, I don't have first hand experience with it, but So far I heard that it works just fine with the Right Click with an External Mouse.

Good Luck,

Mina

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Our computer crashed a few days ago and I'm trying to convince my parents that getting a mac is the way to go. The big thing would be being able to run Windows natively (and in the exact same fashion) as it would to run on a Dell or IBM. I think I might be able to convince them that Mac is the way to go.

One other question. Do iMac's come with a mouse that has a left and right click button? I thought there was just one clicker on the mouse. Or are there other options available directly from Apple?

OP
A
Reaction score
Actually, while I'm here...I do have one other question that I just realized.

It says that you need a version of XP with SP2. My copy has SP1 so I would obviously have to purchase a second copy. I realize this is a Mac forum, but does anyone know what the cost is to purchase a copy of XP with SP2...or is this not even possibe anymore with Vista out?

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! Our computer crashed a few days ago and I'm trying to convince my parents that getting a mac is the way to go. The big thing would be being able to run Windows natively (and in the exact same fashion) as it would to run on a Dell or IBM. I think I might be able to convince them that Mac is the way to go.

One other question. Do iMac's come with a mouse that has a left and right click button? I thought there was just one clicker on the mouse. Or are there other options available directly from Apple?

The only Apple mouse with right click is the MightyMouse. If your iMac comes with that one, you will have it, but I don't know though.
Anyways, Macs always have right click by holding <control-button> + "left click": Shows the context menu in Mac OSX.

But yah, you can also use just every 3 button mouse in order to have a "normal" right click.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! What a great forum...I found this place by luck and I love how friendly and quickly responsive everyone is!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

The iMac comes with a Mighty Mouse. Be sure to go into the mouse config and set the right side (button) to Secondary Button.

You can plug in any 3 button (or more for that matter) mouse into your iMac and have right click. Scroll also.

The pic below shows the Mighty Mouse control panel. By default for some reason Apple has the Primary button set for both sides of the MM. That is how to set it to get Right Click.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks everyone!! What a great forum...I found this place by luck and I love how friendly and quickly responsive everyone is!!

The forum works on a tier payment program.

The 1st to respond receives $0.34... 2nd gets $0.17.... 3rd gets $0.05.

We get a bonus $0.03 for being friendly.

We really have no idea what we're talking about (I don't even own a Mac).. we're just making MONEY$$$$

:D

Reaction score
The forum works on a tier payment program.

The 1st to respond receives $0.34... 2nd gets $0.17.... 3rd gets $0.05.

We get a bonus $0.03 for being friendly.

We really have no idea what we're talking about (I don't even own a Mac).. we're just making MONEY$$$$

:D

hilarious :Cool:

Reaction score
I have a question about right-clicking in bootcamp.

I understand that Macs don't have a right click option (and don't need it), but if I were to get an iMac and run Windows on it through Bootcamp and plug in a mouse that has a left and right click button, will I be able to use the right click function as normal? What are the alternatives for right clicking on a Mac? Thanks guys!

I am currently using a Logitech trackerball and use right click all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.