Rice grains in my Macbook

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So 3 months after purchasing my macbook pro Retina, I spilled coffee over it. And I panicked so hard I switched the mac off and put it under rice grains. covered it from top to bottom and practically shoved it under the rice.

Didn't turn it on until 3 days later, and now it works perfectly, and there was no problem whatsoever. Even the genie bar guy was surprised.

However, it has been 2.5 months since the spill. And I think some rice grains have gone inside the mac through the ports, and I can hear them make the rice-grains-bump-sound every time I move the mac.

The mac still worked fine (I would say 10/10) until a few minutes back; the screen flickered (with dots) for a millisecond.

I am worried that something bad might happen soon because of the spill and also if the rice grains inside might make havocs inside it.

Can someone tell me if tried taking the grains out, will it be successful? And also what can the rice grains do? ( I feel as if it would leave particles inside and wreck it), and how long can a macbook survive after a coffee spill?

Thanks a lot!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can someone tell me if tried taking the grains out, will it be successful? And also what can the rice grains do? ( I feel as if it would leave particles inside and wreck it), and how long can a macbook survive after a coffee spill?

The Applecare warranty is already defunct…since the liquid spill sensors inside have been triggered. So open it up & remove the rice grains.

As far as how long will the computer survive after a coffee spill. Sorry…but predicting the future is a skill few of us possess!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
maybe a shop vac would do be careful though ;) good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.