Restore or reinstall.

Reaction score
I have an iMac about 5 years old that I want to give to my mom. It has developed a temp sensor issue which makes the fan run now and then when it doesn't need to, but it still operates perfectly otherwise. I want to give it to her clean. It has Snow Leopard installed but it did not come with that. I can't remember what it had originally. Can I just do a clean reinstall of Snow or is it best to restore it to factory settings, then install Snow? And I'm sure hoping any install will be successful with the sensor issue!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I just do a clean reinstall of Snow or is it best to restore it to factory settings, then install Snow? And I'm sure hoping any install will be successful with the sensor issue!

If you have a Snow Leopard install disk…I would keep things easy…and install Snow Leopard. If you're lucky, maybe the temp. sensor issue is software related…and an HD wipe & fresh install of the OS will correct things (we can only hope).:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Not responding?

So I tried to install Snow and it ignores the disc. I then tried to do a restore to factory by pressing the power button then quickly holding down the command and R keys. The iMac is still ignoring me and booting up to normal. I've tried it over a dozen times. It just keeps booting to my usual screen......chime then sign in. I even tried a plug in keyboard thinking I can't hold down the command and R keys on a wireless. Made no difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.