Restarted and no Finder

Reaction score
I moved some of my bigger files to an external hard drive to free up space. (I had 50gb left on HD). After I moved them, under storage, it still said I had 50gb left. I decided to restart my Macbook Pro (Yosemite), but now nothing I had on my desktop is showing. I clicked on Finder and it doesn't launch. All other programs in the lower tray seem to launch okay. Any help will be appreciated.

Edit: I also tried to shut the whole system down and it won't shut down.

Edit #2: After I closed the lid to my MacBook Pro, it finally shut down. I hit the start button and everything is working now, except the available hard drive space still shows 50gb available. It should have been increased by 67gb according to the size of the folder I moved from the hard drive to the external hard drive

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You moved it - did you then delete it by dragging it into the trash and then did you empty the trash? If not the files are still taking up space.

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
You moved it - did you then delete it by dragging it into the trash and then did you empty the trash? If not the files are still taking up space.

Lisa

I moved the whole file. It's not there anymore. I emptied the trash and it still says I have only 50gb free space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of file did you move? If it had anything to do with photos or your photo library, that could be the reason why. Unless you empty the iPhoto trash, the photo files will still be on your hard drive taking up space.

OP
P
Reaction score
What kind of file did you move? If it had anything to do with photos or your photo library, that could be the reason why. Unless you empty the iPhoto trash, the photo files will still be on your hard drive taking up space.

Thanks for your help. I found some hidden photo files that I didn't remember having. They were not in my picture file, so I just searched and when I realized what and where they were, I deleted them. That almost doubled my available storage capacity. Thanks again. Problem solved!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.