Resolution troubles!

DavoBro

Reaction score
I recently opened my MacBook Pro 14inch, 2021 and found all the desktop items much larger than they have been since I bought this machine. I thought 'no problem', I went to system preferences > displays and then resolution, checked the scaled button and clicked the 'more space' button only to find that the size of all the folders etc are the same size. I tried larger and yes they became ridiculously large! So in essence the smallest scaling is still much too large. I have updated the OS, restarted and the usual simple strategies but, so far its still the same. I'm currently running Monterey 12.4. The only recent difference I've made is to update to Avast Security Premium, I'm not suspecting it has caused this but, its about the only change I've made I can think of. Many thanks in advance to any ideas as to how I might solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum!

First, get rid of Avast. You don't need it, it doesn't do anything for you and it's a source of many issues, although not necessarily yours. Find the Avast uninstaller to uninstall it. Macs don't really need any antivirus resident all the time as is little, if any, virus infections currently active for Macs. And if your MBP is an M1 system, it's even better in security against those things. So, get rid of the Avast stuff.

Second, look at System Preferences/Displays and set the Resolution to "Default for Display" and see if that makes things better.

Do you have an external monitor attached?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The only recent difference I've made is to update to Avast Security Premium, I'm not suspecting it has caused this but, its about the only change I've made I can think of. Many thanks in advance to any ideas as to how I might solve the problem.

As suggested, uninstall the Avast software, then try a PRAM and a SMC Reset.
Then shutdown and boot up from cold. Don't just restart.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.