Resizing partitions - Need guidance

Reaction score
On a flying rock in space with a bunch of people I
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7, MBP, MB Air, Apple Newton
So here's the deal, I was happily trucking along with Yosemite 10.10 until I decided to update it to 10.10.1. After the update, I had a bug that made it so my iMac would "lag" once every fifteen to twenty seconds for a second or two.

That might not sound bad, but it made my mouse "jump", making clicking things awkward at times. Plus, it screwed around with my gaming performance and working in Photoshop.

So I installed 10.9 by creating a 200GB partition leaving Yosemite on the larger 550GB partition. I want to delete the Yosemite partition, but there are files (primarily Photoshop files for work) that's around 160GB which won't fit in the 200GB allocation I made for 10.9.

I can't resize the partitions, which I was hoping I could do. I thought, "Hey, I'll create this small partition just to get things going, once done I'll resize them and move my important files over to my 10.9 installation, delete 10.10 and combine both partitions into one!". Of course, that's not working.

I have an external hard drive, but that's at the office an hour away and I really don't feel like going back. I'm also not due to go back to work until Monday. Is there any solution for my problem that doesn't involve me traveling two hours to get my external HD, moving my files onto that HD and deleting all partitions while installing 10.9 once again?

Here's how my set-up currently looks within Disk Utility:

6K3FdJa.png

Thanks in advance for taking a look :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if you had your external hard drive, you're not going to be able to move those partitions around without losing data. You're not just dealing with two partitions; you're actually dealing with 4 partitions. Remember that both Yosemite and Mavericks have recovery partitions associated with them. There's also the two very small EFI partitions that control booting.

If you really wish to downgrade to Mavericks, backup all your data to an external hard drive, wipe the drive clean, format it and prepare it as one partition, install Mavericks, and restore your data from backup.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. Guess I have to take a trip tomorrow then. Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Templar. First I wanted to say great post! Lots of great info there...which REALLY helps when replying with suggestions!:)

Second...I definitely follow your logic how you wanted to downgrade back to Mavericks. Seems like it would make sense.:) But as chscag mentioned...there are some issues involved that complicates things. Apple really has things designed for moving forward (upgrading the OS)...not moving backward (downgrading the OS).

Probably best to do things the "hard way" (so to speak) so things work best. Downgrading the OS on a Mac is not easy.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Already down graded to 10.9 by downloading Mavericks from the app store and making a USB install. My issue now is just fixing the partitions. Going to back up my files tomorrow and completely formatting my hard drive and installing 10.9 all over again.

MyHD has 10.10, MyHD2 has 10.9.

Thanks for your input Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Templar. I wanted to mention. That if you like Yosemite (10.10)...but had problems with 10.10.1. If you can find an installer for 10.10 (not 10.10.1)...you could reinstall 10.10...rather than 10.9.

I'm not sure if other folks are having similar problems as you with the 10.10.1 update. Seems a real shame to do everything you have to do to get things operational again.

I'm assuming that nothing else was installed on your computer at or around the same time as the 10.10.1 update was installed. If something else was installed...maybe it's causing problems...and not the 10.10.1 update (just a thought).

Especially 3rd party apps...or apps like:

- MacKeeper
- CleanMyMac
- etc.

Also...a good website that I used to follow (but not as much lately)...that has a focus on problems folks have with the Mac OS, app compatibility, etc. (and possible solutions)...is a website called:

- www.macintouch.com

* Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I've not had any of those or any other similar apps installed. Was a relative clean install. I'll wait a while before I start using 10.10 as my daily OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Far what it is wprth Templar, particularly on notebooks, suggest you update when ready using a format and clean install, after backing everything up of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.