Reset my MacBook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Hello you clever guys. As you can see by my last postings have been having a lot of issues with my MacBook.
when I had this I didn’t really understand what I was doing. My son has suggested that I do a reset as I know a lot more about the setup now.
l have a backup of all my documents etc on a external drive.
what do you suggest it’s in a bit of a mess.I have a lot of photos on the iCloud they are safe there ? I hope. Also I have a time machine backup but that will include the messed up documents etc.
Help please anyone.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Any Body Please. I admit its all my doing.
If I could get the photos from the iCloud to the photo app would be grateful for that
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Hi David, what macOS are you currently using? Also, do you currently have plenty of storage space left. You don't want to go through an erase, macOS install, installing software that didn't come with the macOS and copying back data if you don't have sufficient free space for current and future use. Also check the iCloud preferences, that you have all options relating to data you expect to be synced when you setup after the erase and install. I haven't read your previous posts, but as you still have issues I guess your problems couldn't be solved by the forum. Most importantly create a USB macOS installer to erase your SSD before reinstalling. When erasing the SSD via Disk Utility ensure you have selected All Devices and click on the top drive symbol. Re your comment wishing you could get your photos into the Photo app, you should do automatically if Photos is ticked in iCloud system prefs. If you don't, do you have another Mac, iPhone or iPad you can check on? Are you using the default 5GB iCloud storage, or have you purchased more?
Re no one responding earlier, it's likely due to most forum users being resident in another time zone.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply very kind of you.
Regarding. wishing you could get your photos into the Photo app, you should do automatically if Photos is ticked in iCloud system prefs. If you don't, do you have another Mac, iPhone or iPad you can check on? Are you using the default 5GB iCloud storage, or have you purchased more?
The photos app is checked in the iCloud preferences .I also have a iPad and a apple phone all my photos are showing up there with no problem
It all came about for some reason I ended up with three picture folders.When I chose the option key and open the photo app it would show three libraries.Now it only shows one but the photos are not there.
When I connect to iCloud via safari all the photos are there,How to get them back into the photo library??.
Thanks for your thoughts.
David very puzzled

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello everyone Failed to solve my problem. Looks like a visit to the Apple store.
Thanks to all concerned.
David.

Reaction score
Hi, Mr Tomos Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds. This clears user settings from memory and restores certain security features that might have been altered, Thank You!!

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply did it got the photo app up and running.
May I ask another point. How do I get the Documents folder to sync with iCloud
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.