reset all settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I recently thought my iPhone was losing battery quicker than I thought it should be. So I got online and looked at the various ways to help that. I made lots of changes in my settings thinking I was doing everything all right.
recently noticed I'm not getting my notifications for my Facetime.... i had turned off all notification thinking that the red dot with number in it was not A notification. My messages are coming in hours later. I'm probably a few other things I'm not aware of.
I read online that if I were to go into settings, general, scroll down to reset and select reset all settings. That would set all back to the factory settings and that all my data, my apps and all my other important things including status would stay there. Is that so?

i also made changes on my iPad which is synced with my iPhone, so I guess I would have to do it for that also.
and need i make backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you been making backups regularly? You may want to make a current backup, just in case?

Yes, you would need to backup and reset both devices individually.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Lori, think about changes you have made that you do like in Settings. Scroll through the Settings app as a reminder and then think about having to redo them all. Things like Siri Voice Recognition, Desktop Image, Alarm Settings, Ring Tones,Touch ID, BlueTooth devices, WiFi Passwords etc.

It may actually be easier to undo the few mistakes you have made.

If you really want to save battery try looking at background app refresh in Settings.

Quick tip; use the Search function in Settings, it saves a lot of time searching through sub menues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your profile shows you have an iPhone 7. If so, you may need a new battery. That’s pretty old now. There’s a free app called Coconut Battery that you can install on your Mac that can tell you what the battery capacity is left on your iPhone when you plug it into a USB port.

EDIT: your iPhone has an option in Settings that tells you what your battery capacity is. Don’t trust it. I’ve found it to be grossly inaccurate.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thnx rod...i went thru my settings and fixed a few and and all looks better now!
i had already turned off background refresh settings.
hmmm, search in settings - interesting....... will look at that.

lifesabeach....i only bought my phone a little over a year sgo...tho it's an old model it was a brand new phone purchase directly from Apple.
yes i look at battery level... currently 95%.
tho will look i to coconut battery... If not in the App Store and not on the apple site and not the original creator..... I probably would be hesitant to download it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

lifesabeach....i only bought my phone a little over a year sgo...tho it's an old model it was a brand new phone purchase directly from Apple.
yes i look at battery level... currently 95%.
tho will look i to coconut battery... If not in the App Store and not on the apple site and not the original creator..... I probably would be hesitant to download it.

Hi Lori - I've been using Coconut Battery for 5+ years w/o a problem; now on v. 3.x - may buy the 'Plus' version which adds a lot of features including Wi-Fi support which eliminates cabling your iDevice to a computer. If you decide to DL the app, then go to their website in the link given. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks raddave.... always good to hear what others are using and their reviews.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded coconut battery v 3,8,2 on my iPhone and iPad. could not find it. emailed christ and he said ....The app is a macOS only app and will only work on a Mac.
so that doesn't help with iPhone at all. am I missing something??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@lori

You download coconut on your Mac. Then connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac via USB. Open coconut and it will give you masses of detail about your iDevice.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You download coconut on your Mac. Then connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac via USB.

Or optionally, purchase coconutBattery Plus which has:
WiFi Support
When you have enabled Wi-Fi syncing via iTunes on your iOS device you don't need to connect the device via USB any more to check its health via coconutBattery
coconutBattery 3.8.2 - by coconut-flavour.com

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh I see.... good note about syncing via iTunes so don't need to connect device via USB...was going to be my next question.
not sure how syncing via itiunss but will worth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
oh I see.... good note about syncing via iTunes so don't need to connect device via USB...was going to be my next question.
not sure how syncing via itiunss but will worth...

Hi again Lori - as already suggested, download Coconut Battery to your macOS computer - if you obtained the 'free' version, then you will need to cable your iDevice(s) to the computer - select the appropriate tab and the 'battery specs' on your iPhone and/or iPad will be available to view; if you decided to purchase the 'Plus' version, then Wi-Fi connectivitiy should provide the same information w/o the need to cable the two devices. Dave :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes I've been using it for years and it's great. It needs to be installed on your computer though. It will give you info on your computer battery and when you connect your iPhone via USB it will tell you about the phone battery. I too have an iPhone 7 my battery shows as only about 87% capacity on Coconut Battery and I need to charge it roughly every 8 hrs. The point I think is that not only is it wearing out but the software and services that we take for granted today are more demanding on batteries and although batteries have improved they still struggle to accommodate live streaming movies, FaceTime, animated games and apps that require constant internet connection.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EDIT: your iPhone has an option in Settings that tells you what your battery capacity is. Don’t trust it. I’ve found it to be grossly inaccurate.

With what did you compare the settings that your phone shows? I find the phone battery display to be accurate. (iPhone 8) Coconut battery has always been accurate and I don't mind sending them a donation but I did not like it when he said we would have to buy the Pro version so that the battery capacity can be read via WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
With what did you compare the settings that your phone shows? I find the phone battery display to be accurate. (iPhone 8) Coconut battery has always been accurate and I don't mind sending them a donation but I did not like it when he said we would have to buy the Pro version so that the battery capacity can be read via WiFi.
Do you use iMazing Mini? There is a detailed section that shows everything, you may be interested in. I uninstalled iMazing recently, so I can't say for sure which option needs to be selected to find it.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It’s worth checking the Battery settings in the iPhone Settings app too. Nowadays it gives you a percentage list of what has used your power in the period since last charge.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
downloaded coconut battery FREE to my Mac
app on my Mac on my Mac now.... I plugged in my phone via usb .....
coconut wanted to install some file on my phone I said yes.
when done. I clicked iOS icon but message said not found.
??? yet it is plugged in.
I unplugged it and re plugged in and still not found.
I powered off my phone and did again.
now it says device access denied.
this is too much hassle...ill continue to use the battery percent on my phone.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Where did you get Coconut battery? I don't recall having to install anything to my iPhone to use it. Did you go to the developer website or get it from some other location?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see there it a Coconut Battery Plus version now for US$9.95 but as we know you dont need that. On their web site (coconut-flavour.com) it list the features of both and if you are the site on a computer it gives you the option of downloading the current 3.8.2 version or Plus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.