Replacing Upper Case in a uMBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
So not that long ago, I dropped a remote on the left palm rest of my uMBP (Ouch, :[). Long story short, I always put a post it over it so I won't have to see the dent :D. Anyways, I have been researching on how to replace it and what it costs. Has anyone here done it?

I found the upper case replacement guide here

And the actual upper case here for $299.

Thanks in advance.

-Roger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I would go with with having someone qualified do this for me if the cost wasn't too high.
I used to be an electrician, which also entailed working on electrical and electronic appliances, but, this is a major dis-assembly, and not just your simple HD or Ram upgrade, or minor fix.
Anyway, iFixit is the way to go if you are going to proceed.... they are pretty on the ball!
Just take your time, and be very patient:)

MAKE SURE YOU ARE WORKING IN A STATIC FREE ENVIRONMENT, AND BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS TAKING EXTRA TIME WITH REASSEMBLY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Those instructions look fine for what they are, but you will need to go a few steps further to remove do the lower case. Frankly I would just live with the dent. I know dents sucks, I had one myself that bother me for months.

Make sure of one thing before you embark on this, get yourself the correct size screw drivers and make sure you get good ones. The cheap chromed silver ones with a hardened steel driver tip are garbage, while they might work fine they may also either strip the screw head (which will be a royal pain) or often the tip starts sliding in the chromed part and they just wont work. The last thing you want when you do this is to have to stop halfway through while you go out looking for another screwdriver. Also, consider getting a large piece of styrofoam so you can draw an outline of the laptop on it... then after you remove each screw place it in the foam in the general location it came from, this will make remember which screw went where much easier.

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the tips. I have also considered selling it and getting an identical one.

As a networking guy, I have some hardware repair but this just tops its off. I don't think I would be able to go through with it.

OP
rzj90059
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok everyone thanks for the input. I got a quote from a local Apple Authorized center, and the case itself will run me about 100-200 and the labor about 80. Also the turn around time is 1 day. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thats sounds like the go. Looking @ the casing costing $299 from others and you having to put it in.
Now if you get it done by  if anything goes wrong it will still be covered by them.

And you dont have the headache of dissecting your machine ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.