Replacing HDD on MacBook Pro 17''

Reaction score
Hi, I want to replace the HDD on my mbp 17" and have no idea what to do or where to start. I tried turning on my mbp today and was met with a folder and question mark symbol instead of the apple logo. Tried fixing it with all the suggestion already given to other people and nothing. I have to point out that I'm a 21 years old young woman who didn't even know what HDD meant until today, but I consider myself very capable.

So what I'd like to know is:
-what HDD should I buy? since I won't understand anything by the name of it, I would like to know how I look it up on eBay or Amazon and if it's good (you can throw some specs in there and I'll try to keep up). If the price difference isn't much and if it's a worthy upgrade I'm up to installing an SSD instead.
-what else do I need? I read something about screwdrivers. Again names I can look up on eBay/Amazon please.
-if you know a good tutorial for non-technicians like myself, it would help a lot.
-wish me luck?

Things you need to know:
-I own a 17" mbp, no clue what year from and even less clue how to find out since I can't start up the thing.
-I am poor (as poor as a Mac owner can be). Honestly I just want to pay for this myself and let's just say my resources are very limited, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put a ****ty thing on my computer.
-I live in Europe. In here Apple Store is not expensive, is almost robbery. That's why it's out of the question for me.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and thanks for the help that will hopefully come.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since you don't know much about this computer…and can't start it to get info. With the lack of any other info…here are the three things you need:

1. OS install disk like this:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

2. Go to OWC (macsales.com) for hard drives:

www.macsales.com

3. Go to ifixit.com for the replacement procedure:

www.ifixit.com

Since you are in Europe. You may need to find a place other than OWC to purchase a replacement hard drive. All you need is a 2.5" SATA hard drive (you choose the capacity). At this point I wouldn't get too wrapped up which brand.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.