Replaced logic board and still have black screen!

Reaction score
Hi. I recently had my logic board replaced, got it back and powered it up but still showing a black screen. I know it's not the screen because I also had that replaced months before. They keyboard light works, and I can hear the computer running, I just see nothing on the screen. I even type in my password and hit enter than hear it running harder as if logging it but nothing on screen. What could be the problem? Monitor is new and so is the logic board. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi. I recently had my logic board replaced, got it back and powered it up but still showing a black screen.

What could be the problem? Monitor is new and so is the logic board. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wouldn't this be a better question to ask the folks that replaced the screen?...that's why you're paying them the big bucks!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Hi. I recently had my logic board replaced, got it back and powered it up but still showing a black screen. I know it's not the screen because I also had that replaced months before. They keyboard light works, and I can hear the computer running, I just see nothing on the screen. I even type in my password and hit enter than hear it running harder as if logging it but nothing on screen. What could be the problem? Monitor is new and so is the logic board. Please any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you know it isn't the screen because the screen actually worked and you saw it after it was replaced or are you just assuming it was replaced properly the first time?

It could be something as simple as the person that replaced the motherboard didn't reconnect the ribbon from the lcd panel to the video card... or didn't properly connect the video card... or didn't connect the inverter for the backlight... there are all sorts of things that might not have been reconnected properly especially when the mother board was replaced because that requires you to basically remove and disconnect everything in the notebook and then reconnect it the right way.

Frankly I'm baffled you would have accepted the computer from the repairshop without making sure it worked... did you every verify that it worked?

OP
K
Reaction score
I know it worked after because I was the one that installed the screen and saw that it worked. Months later, the screen went black because of the Nvidia problem with the 2007 MBP model logic boards. I know this because I took it in too have it checked and the result came back, it was the board. I also replaced the logic board. I have much experience with these things. So you guys think it may be a wire came loose or disconnected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We leave it to you guys with much experience with these things. Who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Mac sure that none of the ribbon connections have come loose. that is the best place to start... some of the connections might appear to close but sometimes don't click.

Reaction score
does this new logic board, has warranty? how much? applecare??

Reaction score
seems to me I would go back to whom ever installed the logic board if the display was working prior to the LB replacement.

You can also try to hook up a second monitor to it and see if you get anything on that. If you get an image it's the display. If not then you might need to get the logic board looked at again.

My MacBook had the logic board replaced about 6 months into owning the computer and it's been great ever since. But i can say that if I had gotten it back not working I would have brought it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Ok, first off I will mention I am a laptop tech and repair every issues day to day.

Based on what you are saying i am thinking it is a screen or inverter. This is one of the most common problems with laptops. To test this look at you screen very carefully and look to see if you see the picture extremely dim. another way to test this is to connect a monitor to the computer and send the video to it if it comes up the is a display problem.

You can check your cables but you are only going to possible find a problem with the inverter (small circuit inside the hinge clutch) cables. If this was a problem with a lose video cable the screen would be white.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions or your results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.