Repairing macbook air from water damage specific questions

Reaction score
Hi,

I spilled water on my macbook, which is currently upside down being dried. After the spill, it automatically shut down and now I'm planning on fixing it myself since I can't afford having it repaired. I'm planning on diassembling it and cleaning every trace of corrosion with 99% alcohol, but here are my questions (and please bear in mind that I have almost 0 knowledge of technology):
· I've read that it's important to replace the thermal paste, but I'm a little confused as to where and for what I need to replace it; for which piece exactly? And will any brand do?
· A technician told me the circuit was fried and that the main damage is the corrosion; does that mean that fried = corrosion (same problem), or is a fried circuit another distinct problem from corrosion?
· Are the screws inside the laptop (on the motherboard) the same as the ones on the lower case? I've ordered a 5 pnts screws online (the small one that I have right now couldn't unscrew the case), but I want to make sure I won't be needing any other tools.
· Is there a possibility that my laptop still won't be functionning after those steps?

Thank you! Also, any additional piece of advice is welcomed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm planning on diassembling it and cleaning every trace of corrosion with 99% alcohol, but here are my questions (and please bear in mind that I have almost 0 knowledge of technology):

· A technician told me the circuit was fried and that the main damage is the corrosion; does that mean that fried = corrosion (same problem), or is a fried circuit another distinct problem from corrosion?

What do you think happens when electricity + powered on electronics come together?? It's not a pretty picture.

Think of almost ANYTHING electronic coming in contact with liquid (that isn't designed for liquid exposure)…it gets damaged. "Corrosion" & "fried"…are not the same. But "fried" is probably what you're dealing with.

Sorry…have heard lots & lots of these stories. Please give this a read…and you can become more familiar as well (all 22 pages):

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/271875-official-spilled-liquid-macbook-thread.html

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sadly I think there is every possibility will not function after those steps. It may spring to life, to die in a week, or two, or a month or two. You were told the logic board is fried and that is normally the case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A technician told me the circuit was fried and that the main damage is the corrosion; does that mean that fried = corrosion (same problem), or is a fried circuit another distinct problem from corrosion?

What the technician should have told you is that your logic board (mother board) has been shorted out from the water. The corrosion is the least of your worries. Unless you just want to proceed for the heck of it, I would instead plan on purchasing a new MacBook Air. Sorry for the bad news but as Nick told you above we have experience with lots of spill stories. And rarely do they end well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.