Repairing an iMac Video Card

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I came across this very interesting You Tube video on how to repair an iMac video card (2009 in this case...but supposed to work for many iMac models). This is for iMac's that have a video card that is not soldered onto the logic board (separate video card part).

Of special interest...check out the piece of equipment this dude has!:)

iMac GPU / videocard repair - YouTube

- Nick

p.s. It's about a 7-8 minute video.

Reaction score
I don't want that rig he's got, I want the money spent to design and build it.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear ya!:) I would imagine that this guy by himself (or the company he works for)…probably repairs graphics cards as a business. Certainly not a "tool" a DIY person owns. At least not a normal DIY person!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And I'll bet if we looked around the shop he's working in, we would see more specialized equipment for the repair of logic boards and who knows what else.

The only time you'll see equipment like that is in specialized repair depots. Those are the guys that Apple sends their logic boards to so they can be refurbished and used as replacements. :$

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If folks want to see the other end of the spectrum (as far as iMac graphics card repairs). Here's a video where the guy is using a metal Altoids tin to hold the card in one hand…while using a butane torch in the other hand to heat the card (to do the reflow):

Casual iMac Video Card Repair - Casual Techs - YouTube

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.