Repair OSX without damaging boot camp & windows

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend who's os x doesn't start up anymore. The system advises to repair the disk but the question is if this will destroy the installed windows and boot camp.

Additional question is if I can backup the files from the mac partition when i cannot access a file browser.

Thx!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend who's os x doesn't start up anymore. The system advises to repair the disk but the question is if this will destroy the installed windows and boot camp.

Additional question is if I can backup the files from the mac partition when i cannot access a file browser.

Thx!

Usually when a message is received that the disk needs repairing, chances are good that it means the disk needs to be replaced. Of course the repair should be attempted first but definitely be prepared to change it out for a new one. To answer your question about possibly destroying Windows, a repair should not harm Windows.

Regarding making a backup - if you can't access the drive, it's too late to try to make a backup.

Anyway, we need more info: Which Mac, year and model? What version of OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you are not experienced with Macs take it to a reseller.

OP
J
Reaction score

MacBook Pro, bought on 24 august 2013, version of OS X is unknown by customer.

Can it be put in a safe mode to access the files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

MacBook Pro, bought on 24 august 2013, version of OS X is unknown by customer.

Can it be put in a safe mode to access the files?

OK, thanks for the info. Since it's a 2013 model, I'll assume he's running Mavericks. If the hard drive can not be accessed, safe mode won't work. You didn't really tell us much about what was tried to repair it? Do you know if booting to the recovery partition was attempted?

Booting to recovery is done by: Restart the MacBook Pro while holding down the command and the R keys at the same time. That should get you to the recovery partition where you can run Disk Utility from Utilities. Use Disk Utility to verify and repair the hard drive. Let us know the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.