Repair harddrive OSX Utility

Reaction score
I looking remotely at a friends OSX Macbook pro 2008 -
not sure what OSX is on it

Had an issue with outlook 2011 not opening - repairing the database identity did not fix the issue

I was going to put thunderbird on a see if i could import the emails - but the device running very slow and Safari crashed

so I got him to run verify under disk utility and got an error the disk needed to be repaired and something about a repair HD disk

We don't have any thing - and not an OSX expert.

Can i do a repair like chkdsk on windows
or what can i do know

i have copied all the data (except the microsoft outlook database identities ) strange reason theres 300GB free on the external drive - and the identities with all the copy and backups - is 119GB - but the copy says not enough room ?????

any way and safe way to repair

Next steps ?

I have suggested he purchases an portable external 1TB drive to copy to
and then use for timemachine once sorted

thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
\You can get a Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple's online store (not the App Store) for about $20 US> and run Disk Utility from there to attempt to repair the drive.

Here's another option that might get things going for you:

1. With the computer off turn on the power and as soon as you hear the startup "chime" press the Command and S keys simultaneously. Do not let go.
2. A bunch of text should start appearing on screen. Let go of the keys now.
3. When text stops scrolling past type fsck -fy and press enter. This is similar to running chkdsk from the command line.
4. When the routine is finished it will report the results. It says the drive is OK reboot. If it says repairs were made run the command again. If you make several passes with this command and the drive does not report as OK the drive is probably a lost cause.

OP
etaf
Reaction score
Thanlks for the very fast replies

Whats the risk of data loss ?
If i just run the repair - will it simply say cannot do the repair and NOT stop the mac from booting / at least working for excel/word and safari ?

All I did was a verify , I did not click on the repair, which I assume will do a verify and repair - like chkdsk

But I did not want to be in the situation where the Mac will not boot at all ?

Would any disks have come with the machine ?

Like windows is there a recovery partition and can you do a repair - would that mean re-installing all the programs?

thanks again

Reaction score
Thanlks for the very fast replies

Whats the risk of data loss ?
If i just run the repair - will it simply say cannot do the repair and NOT stop the mac from booting / at least working for excel/word and safari ?

All I did was a verify , I did not click on the repair, which I assume will do a verify and repair - like chkdsk

But I did not want to be in the situation where the Mac will not boot at all ?

Would any disks have come with the machine ?

Like windows is there a recovery partition and can you do a repair - would that mean re-installing all the programs?

thanks again

I think for fsck and repair using disk utility (without the reboot) risk of data loss is pretty minimal. If it hangs and something's jacked up, it's probably already jacked up.

The cmdS restart is what you would do to work from a repair disk or partition, and OSX I think is pretty good about "repair" installs without affecting user data. That is, if it says it can do it and it completes, all should be well.

I'm not sure whether it would have a recovery partition or media or both, that was a blackout period for me and macs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 2008 MacBook Pros came with disks. I believe they were gray and model specific. You cannot for example usually use an iMac disc to start a MacBook Pro.

Do you know what OS version is on the machine at the moment. If it contains OS X 10.7 or higher there is a recovery partition. You can get to that partition by powering up the computer and immediately pressing the Command + R keys simultaneously. OS X versions up through 10.6.8 didn't have a recovery partition.

The risk of loosing data while doing a repir should be low unless the drive is nearly dead and dies during the process but it is possible.

OP
etaf
Reaction score
I think for fsck and repair using disk utility (without the reboot) risk of data loss is pretty minimal. If it hangs and something's jacked up, it's probably already jacked up.
Thanks for that
I know the message was to use "Control R" and then something like use recovery HD
Do you know what OS version is on the machine at the moment.
I should have the version tomorrow -

I will suggest the repair process - do you think that may also resolve the outlook 2011 issue, even though a repair using the outlook utility did not ?

very kind for the quite a full replies - cheers

3. When text stops scrolling past type fsck -fy and press enter. This is similar to running chkdsk from the command line.
would I better using this
OR
using repair on the disk utility ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tend to use the fsck -fy command when I can't get to Disk Utility. At one time the fsck -fy routine was able to repair some errors that Disk Utility could not repair. I'm not sure whether that is still true. Someone else will have to chime in on that point.

OP
etaf
Reaction score
OK, thanks the machine runs ok ish a bit slow - which maybe the disk, and i can get to disk utility - so perhaps I will start there - see if it repairs them all - UNLESS ,as you say,
Someone else will have to chime in on that point.

do you have a good tutorial on fsck -fy

OP
etaf
Reaction score
OSX is version 10.9.5

Incorrect number of file hard links.
The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: this disk needs to be repaired utilities window appears, choose disk utility.

There is a window that has opened and says ,
This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD, Restart your computer, holding down the command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X utilities window appears, choose disk utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
command + r Recovery mode is best (because Disk Utility gives you more feedback than fsck)

Another option is Safe Mode. It does fsck during startup, plus clearing font cache. Read here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262
(you just restart normally after it's completed)

risk of data loss is very low.

OP
etaf
Reaction score
Thanks - I suggest he gets an new external drive to copy all the data off first - as no backup at all

and hes decided he does not want to spend any time on this and has taken into a repair shop
I will let you know the outcome

thanks for all the help and assistance, I learnt a lot , and as more of my friends use Macs, I'm sure i will get to do the above myself

Thanks
Wayne

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.