Renaming an .app

T

thorsonb

Can you rename an .app in the Applications folder?

Lets say i got in my Applications folder "djsoundboothscratch.app"

But i want to rename it to "DJ Sound Booth Scratch.app" so I can find it much faster with spot light?

is that possible?

When i try to do it it tells me:

You do not have sufficient access privileges to rename the item "djsoundboothscratch"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
That's weird. I always change the names of my apps to add the ver# after the name. No problems.
Are you asked for your password to change the name?

OP
T

thorsonb

That's weird. I always change the names of my apps to add the ver# after the name. No problems.
Are you asked for your password to change the name?

Nope not asked for a password, I am the only user, ..

Maybe if i try turn off the general password.. (when u turn the mac on i need password to login)

Will give it a shot.. if I can just remember how to turn that password off!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Try Get Info on the .app you wish to change the name of, and then check your Ownership & Permissions extent. You can change all Permissions to Read & Write. See if that works.

OP
T

thorsonb

Try Get Info on the .app you wish to change the name of, and then check your Ownership & Permissions extent. You can change all Permissions to Read & Write. See if that works.

:eek::D

Thanks alot! didnt think of that! It works

Ctrl click the app file in the applications folder , > Get Info > Sharing & Premissions

thanks a milli!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.