Removing jpegs from Photo library W/O removing jpegs from albums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I've been importing pictures into PHOTOS from old Win computer files. I then create albums for the different categories of photos and copy the pics from the photo library to the albums. I would then like to remove the pics in Photos and just have them in my albums. Problem is if I remove the pic from the photo Library, it also removes from the album. Don't need duplicate pics on my Mac. Is there a way to do what I want to do?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you create an Album in Photos app, and put pictures from your library into that Album, you are not creating copies or duplicates. You are creating links from the library to that Album.

in fact you could have a particular picture from the library in multiple Albums. Thi will not take up any more space as they are links to the original in the library.

If you remove a picture from an Album, it still keeps the original in the library. But if you delete a picture from the library, this removes it from the library and the Album.

That is why you can’t “keep“ a picture in an Album if it’s not in your library. That is the way it works.

What you are trying to do is not possible.

Hope that at least explains what is going on and how Photos app works.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. I thought I had multiple copies, not just links. I did not know how Photos worked. Your explanation was very helpful.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for the info. I thought I had multiple copies, not just links. I did not know how Photos worked. Your explanation was very helpful.

Pete

Don't forget to give that Ian post a click on his "Like" Icon.

That was a very nice explanation.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.