Remove old iAntiVirus (Symantec) program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I can't un-install iAntiVirus Version 1.35 program. I have done some research and found the company was sold to Symantec back in 2004. This program was installed in 2008. It will not simply go from desktop to trash as other programs do.
Is there a way to find the un-install file for this program to get it off my harddrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I can't un-install iAntiVirus Version 1.35 program. I have done some research and found the company was sold to Symantec back in 2004. This program was installed in 2008. It will not simply go from desktop to trash as other programs do.
Is there a way to find the un-install file for this program to get it off my harddrive?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As you may already know AV programs are not recommended for the Mac by most here (I do not have any on my Apple machines), so you're right in trying to rid yourself of this software; however, these programs can insinuate themselves into the nooks & crannies of your hard drive and require specific removal tools.

I do not have an immediate suggestion (except to search the above and include 'uninstall' as part of the search phrase) - BUT, please provide information regarding your computer (model/year), OS X installed, and what have you tried specifically to remove the program? - Dave

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I have a 2014, 27" IMac, with the latest OS X 10.9.5. The old program came along with everything I had with Migration Assistant. I have tried dropping it from the desktop to the trash with no success. I'll try more searches with "uninstall" as part of the perameters.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I contacted Symantec and a tech went on my machine remotely and went straight to spotlight and found all kinds of uninstall for different program including mine. Two seconds later it was uninstalled and gone from my computer.
Thanks for the time you two spent to help me with this issue.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I contacted Symantec and a tech went on my machine remotely and went straight to spotlight and found all kinds of uninstall for different program including mine. Two seconds later it was uninstalled and gone from my computer.
Thanks for the time you two spent to help me with this issue.

Hi Ryeh.. - glad that the Symantec tech help and hopefully was able to rid you of the AV software - NOW, don't load any new stuff unless you ask here first - ;)

My son is an IT guy @ a national company out of Indianapolis - he often does remote desktop control of computers in branches across the country - kind of cool (of course, as long as the person is not some 'cracker' trying to control and/or destroy your computer's data!) Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.