Reminders: delete completed

Reaction score
I have a shared shopping and chores list. I would like to be able to delete completed items quickly without having to delete them one by one or the entire list. I can do this with other apps like mail and messages - why not reminders? - why such a lack of consistency between apple's apps?

Any solutions?

Reaction score
I have a shared shopping and chores list. I would like to be able to delete completed items quickly without having to delete them one by one or the entire list. I can do this with other apps like mail and messages - why not reminders? - why such a lack of consistency between apple's apps?

Any solutions?

I don't use that feature, so I can't speak to it. But there are a boatload of "to do list" software programs, and several of them are even free. The obvious solution would be to switch to one that meets your needs. Here are some of the more popular ones. I can provide a much longer list if you like:

Things ($50)
The all-new Things. Your to-do list for Mac & iOS

TaskMate (free)
TaskMate // The to-do list made simple again

ToDo X (free)
ToDo X

TaskBox ($1)
MacAppStudio - Mac | iOS App Development And Mobile App development Company

Midnight Inbox ($35)
Midnight Beep Softworks

TaskPaper ($25)
TaskPaper – Plain text to-do lists for Mac

ThinkingRock ($29)
Home - ThinkingRock

Ready, Set, Do ($30)
Ready-Set-Do! | Getting Things Done on a Mac

Chandler (free)
Chandler Project
(A number of users have highly recommended this one.)

Check Off ($5)
http://www.chromedomesoftware.com/checkoff/

Docket ($20)
http://www.surprisesoftware.com/docket/

Do It (donation requested)
DoIt (outdated link removed)

Wunderlist/Pro (free/$5 per month- Cloud-based)
https://www.wunderlist.com/

Remember the Milk/Pro (FREE/$25 per year - cloud based)
Remember The Milk: Online to-do list and task management

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I do mine in Notes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Any solutions?

It's easily done on the macOS version of Reminders if you use a Mac also and sync them. Otherwise, you may need to look at an alternative app. It's utterly baffling to me that Apple has failed to address this huge usability hole in the iOS version after all these years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why are you deleting Reminders? They're for reminding you to do things, once it's checked off, it's completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why are you deleting Reminders? They're for reminding you to do things, once it's checked off, it's completed.

Because the "completed" ones never truly go away. They are just hidden by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How do you view the completed tasks?

Which version (iOS or macOS) are you referring to? There is an option to show completed, in each List. Look for the “3 dots/options” button.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which version (iOS or macOS) are you referring to? There is an option to show completed, in each List. Look for the “3 dots/options” button.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

On my MacBook I just realized I can pull down the screen and the menu shows, that is what I was asking but I also now see how to do this on the iPad mini and the iPhone. I like the reminders app they have now especially because its easy to create groups etc on the Mac and then use what I create on the other devices, plus its a nice little app. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
I don't see my current app on the list. Toodledo.

Not perfect for my needs, but the best I have found for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never heard of Toodledo, looks very interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Sorry for interrupting your post.
Regarding what badshoehabit said about using notes.Could you be so kind to tell me what method to you use notes for reminders Please.
Many thanks David.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
rats!

i just created all sorts of reminders from my calendar ... as it was becoming cluttered.... and deleted from my calendar. i did this on my iphone. only to realize that reminders do not sync with ipad.

i see in this thread, that few of you are not so enamoured with it. so either ill have to put back in my calendar or check out those other options (the free ones of course)

i've looked at the free ones and wonder if these apps will sync across all devices.

some of my reminders are repeated monthly and annually... so I guess those can go back into my calendar. But the daily ones just makes the calendar way too cluttered along with my appointments.

i use notes a lot too... but dont think i've seen a date option!

is it possible to colour code calendar reminders? that option would make important appointments stand out!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Calendars can be color coded.

View attachment 33259
oh great... will work on that!!! tho just wanted to colour code a specific item on a day. and do that for several. so if adding note to a day... I could not colour it. it would have to be set up in a different calendar. correct?

so if I were to set up different calendars with different colours... and select show all calendars... the different colours would show on one specific day? is that the logic??

I tried it and the colours only show a dot by the note... not colour the note. is that the way it should be?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh great... will work on that!!! tho just wanted to colour code a specific item on a day. and do that for several. so if adding note to a day... I could not colour it. it would have to be set up in a different calendar. correct?

so if I were to set up different calendars with different colours... and select show all calendars... the different colours would show on one specific day? is that the logic??

I tried it and the colours only show a dot by the note... not colour the note. is that the way it should be?

You can make the calendar item show highlighted in the color of that calendar by making it an all-day event. Otherwise you just get the dot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can make the calendar item show highlighted in the color of that calendar by making it an all-day event. Otherwise you just get the dot.
ok thnx.... i wuld have liked text the text coloured to stand out more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.