• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Remember your first mac?

lpn

Reaction score
i do. It was OS 7.1, i remember wasting hours playing with those dumb little stamps in kidpix. :)

M

MacHeadCase

It was PowerComputing PowerCenter 150 desktop model. 7.5.3

I discovered teh Internetz, email and I was amazed!

And I played Myst over and over again.

Man, I fell in love. :*

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, my first mac was purchased last september - my macbook.

my family had one when i was around 14-15 in '84-'85, and i used them in the "mac lab" in college for my graphic arts classes and to write papers (since i was so comfortable with them after using them in said classes).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
My MBP is the first I've owned, but my first experience with a mac was the one that was an all-in-one model with the 10" B&W screen built in. It belonged to the father of a friend of mine and we just played some golf game all the time. I think it was some time around 1990-1992

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Yea I remember my First Mac, it was an iMac 20" OSX 10.4.8 Tiger with all the trimmings, it was good at the time... If I remember correctly, I discovered MSN Messenger and I was amazed it was like the Version on the PC that hit in around 1999, so that;s why I decided to use Adium instead.

Okay you got me, it's not as long ago as others but my nearly 12 Months old (I think) iMac is still right by me

Reaction score
my first

a Mac IIci 20 Mb HD and 8 Mb of Ram. Back in 1991. I use it to prop up my Display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Yup... iBook G4 933MHZ, 640MB, 40GB, Combo, running Fedora 5. :)

I remember playing KidPix at school on the IIci in kindergarden. lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mac Plus with 4-Megs RAM 20MB External SCSI HDD Mac OS 6.0.5. That was followed by an SE with same basic specs but with 120 MB internal HDD and OS 7.0.

I had a IISI at one point. Sold it to a friend when I got my Quadra 700.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen
A PowerBook G4 400 mhz CPU, 256 or if it was 512 mb work ram and 16 mb Graphics. I liked that one a lot :) The good ol' titanium variant. Though I had tried macs before, but I never liked OS 9 too much.

Reaction score
First I ever touched was a Performa with some large number behind it. Big beige box with monitor on top. The first I owned is in front of me, the iMac G5 with iSight (a model that lived from October 2005 to January 2006).

Reaction score
Do used ones count? I bought a Macintosh IIx in 2004. My first new Mac would be my mini I'm using right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Its just to the right of me! my iMac G3 DV+

You're playing with power when your hardrive fails to boot for 2 seconds from the moment you press the power button Haha

Its a nice system yeah, if I don't get round to selling it in a few months I may install OS 9 on it and play one of the 50000 Myst games for mac

My first computer was in the windowws 95 boom, I didn't realise it when my father booted it up but the thing that I played games on was actually a workststion-esque build - Pentium MMX 133MHZ

first mac I used.. Probably revision A iMac G3, tray loader, OS 9 - it was the computer of a friend fo mine, I always regarded it a toy because we only ever played educational games on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
The first APPLE computer I ever owned was an Apple IIe, which I believe was before they adopted the "Macintosh" brand name. I played some animated/cartoony air hockey/pong type game to no end. I also had my grandparent's Apple Macintosh when they were done using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
This is my first mac i own, 3 weeks old. But i remember the good old iMac G3 in like.. 98-99?

Reaction score
The first APPLE computer I ever owned was an Apple IIe, which I believe was before they adopted the "Macintosh" brand name. I played some animated/cartoony air hockey/pong type game to no end. I also had my grandparent's Apple Macintosh when they were done using it.

Ah, Shufflepuck. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
My Apple IIg. Hooked it up to the Apple Composite Monitor with the style writer printer, and old floppy disks. Still have it stored away in my closet. Second Mac was Mac SE, loved that computer, still have that, and both still work.!!!!!

Reaction score
It was an LC that cost about as much or more as a MacBook Pro costs now. But I had it loaded to the gills with RAM — a huge 10 megabytes! And a StyleWriter.

The LC came with System 7.1, but I had a bootable floppy with System 6.8 on it, and Norton Utilities.

Norton's own bootable repair disk wouldn't show the desktop, so it was impossible to open anything. But the floppy with 6.8 would, and there was room on it for Norton, too.

At the time, that machine was magic. I didn't have a clue as to how underpowered it was and that Apple had crippled it so as to not compete with itself.

From LowEndMac:
If anything, the LC was deliberately designed not to take market share from its siblings, the IIsi and IIci. This earns it a Road Apple award.
On the other hand, Apple sold 500,000 LCs within 12 months of release.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It was an LC that cost about as much or more as a MacBook Pro costs now. But I had it loaded to the gills with RAM — a huge 10 megabytes! And a StyleWriter.

The LC came with System 7.1, but I had a bootable floppy with System 6.8 on it, and Norton Utilities.

Norton's own bootable repair disk wouldn't show the desktop, so it was impossible to open anything. But the floppy with 6.8 would, and there was room on it for Norton, too.

At the time, that machine was magic. I didn't have a clue as to how underpowered it was and that Apple had crippled it so as to not compete with itself.

From LowEndMac:

I remember the LC all too well! I still have mine. I use it to hold up my 20" Flat Panel on my Mac Mini! Makes a good monitor stand! :D
I was shocked when I first read those LowEndMac articles but looking back, It's obvious they did all of that. Amazing. Makes me glad Steve Jobs returned.

My old Plus still working great running OS 7.0.1

HPIM0271.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My first was Mac Classic II that I used at work. After a few month I got upgraded to a Performa 450, then eventually a Performa 6205CD, that was my first PPC machine. Shortly thereafter I bought a Performa 6400 for home use.

All of this was in 95 and early 96. By the time I got the 6205CD, I was the default IT guy for my group, and eventually my department. I did all the upgrades (7.1 > 7.5 > 7.5.3 > 7.5.5 > 7.6.1 > 8.0 > 8.1), installed new hardware, advised the department head on what new Macs to buy and what peripherals to get. I even set up the servers (on the old Mac Classics) and was able to across the companies systems etc remotely .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.