Reinstall macOS Problem with Old iMac

Reaction score
I have followed an online instruction to what I thought was to revert my old iMac to apple start up only to find every thing has been erased now when I try to boot it up I just a flashing ? symbol how can I get past this and try to start over

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What instructions did you follow? It looks like you've erased the entire contents of your drive including the recovery console on OS' past Lion.

If that is indeed true, then you'll need to create a bootable USB stick with the installer of the version of macOS you were running and use that to re-install macOS again.

At a high level, the process of "restore to factory defaults" on a Mac are the following:
  • Power down Mac
  • Hold down CMD+r while powering up the mac (recent Macbooks automatically power up when this combination is pressed)
  • Release the keys once the Apple logo is visible for a little while
  • In Recovery Console
    • Go to Disk Utility to erase the Macintosh HD partition
    • Exit Disk Utility
    • Choose to re-install macOS

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If as Ashwin says, you have completely erased the internal drive, including the Recovery partition you would need another bootable source to restore it.
I'm a bit puzzled though, you cannot use the internal drive to erase itself so could you describe how you did it.
My theory is that you did it correctly but you haven't reinstalled the macOS using the Recovery partition.
Try starting up from OFF holding the Command & R keys again until the Recovery menu appears. If that works you should see the Reinstall macOS option.
If that works, it will take a while, you will end up with the Setup Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Here is Apple's guidelines for reinstalling macos;

Note the Shift-Option-Command-R option that will download the OS even if you have no recovery partition left.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies they are very helpful. I got the instructions from off YouTube obviously I have done something wrong

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please share the YouTube link to see if it's actually bad instructions or misunderstanding leading to the issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi every one tried reinstalling Mac OS Siera in safe mode but get the following answer, The recovery server could not be contacted, I am hard wired to the Mac from the hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi every one tried reinstalling Mac OS Siera in safe mode but get the following answer,

Booting up into safe boot mode will disable a lot of extensions needed for internet and file sharing amongst many other things.

Would this cable suite my Mac thunderbolt 4 the end marked 10GB I have an external hd and was thinking of backing from my new iMac and reinstalling on my old Mac

I am completely lost as to what you are asking or wanting to do here. Sorry. There seem to be lots of missing information in your posts that could help my understanding if more was included.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm confused too, why would you try to Reinstall macOS in Safe mode. If you can get to Safe mode then you haven't wiped everything off your Mac.

So, I go back to what I said earlier,
"Try starting up from OFF holding the Command & R keys again until the Recovery menu appears. If that works you should see the Reinstall macOS option."
If that works, it may take a while, you will end up with the Setup Assistant.
Online Recovery seems a bit "sketchy" these days though and you're asking to download a MacOS from 2016 so...

Usually most users have had more success with downloading early MacOS's from a specific App Store link but to do that you need a working device with a functional web browser.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re your question about a cable: If you are thinking you could do a backup of your newer Mac and transfer it to the older iMac it would depend on what sort of backup you are intending.
You could create a bootable clone of your newer iMac and reverse clone that to your older iMac IF the two devices are running compatible operating systems.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about you better explain what old Mac you have and what version of macOS you were running on it? Getting details in bits and pieces is very hard for everyone to follow and provide a good answer.

Safe mode is NOT recovery mode. Sierra is an old version of macOS that is likely not available anymore. That's 7 versions older than the current version and more importantly is only supported on what Apple calls obsolete hardware, so the error about not getting it from the recovery server is likely accurate.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry about not being clear enough I have a have a new iMac running Sonoma and I have an external hd as regards to the cable I would like download from my new iMac to the ext hd and then install it on my old Mac. Before I deleted every thing from my old Mac I was running Ventura 13.6.3, my old Mac is i5 3ghz 2 thunderbolt 3 slots.

OP
R
Reaction score
when I tried to set my Mac back to factory settings I did from apple support and YouTube so to end with every thing I must have done some thing ie not followed the instructions precisely and ended up in the predicament I find myself in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
every thing I must have done some thing ie not followed the instructions precisely and ended up in the predicament I find myself in.

I think at this point it might be worth your while to hire a Mac Tech to visit and have a look at your Macs and the situation you are now in and may be able to help you rectify things.

But if you ended up wiping your old Mac of all data and no backup of any sort, I would say all your personal data you had on your old Mac is now gone into computer data Heaven.

As our home carpenter-builder would say when something didn't go quite right... S**t happens.. And we learned to live with the mistakes and carry on with life. 😅

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like download from my new iMac to the ext hd and then install it on my old Mac.
Just to make things as clear as possible, you cannot do what you propose in the above quote. You can transfer user data in that way but not the Operating System. For that ,you need a macOS Installer application first.
There is of course one exception ie. a Bootable Clone but the process of doing this with your limited resources is long and complicated.
Most Apple techs would already have a library of macOS installers, I have a copy of the macOS Ventura installer right here on a USB thumb drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi every one spent over 2hrs this afternoon with apple support and finally got Ventura downloading on my old Mac, all this thanks to the apple agent being so patient with me and persisting with the different instructions.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aww, that's great to hear. It's so much easier to do with direct contact, even the phone is so much better than texting. As much as we try to assist on these forums some issues need instructions and immediate response. I'm glad to hear there are still good, patient Apple agents willing to spend the necessary time to assist.👍🏻

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
glad to hear there are still good, patient Apple agents willing to spend the necessary time to assist.

Hear! Hear!

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Even had a phone call from apple but the problem couldn't be resolved so they made me an appointment at the liverpool shop to try .T he apple support team have been great all through.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.