Reinitialising first set up

Reaction score
Hi all, first post as I have a particular query and so far google has let me down.

I'm currently setting up several MacBook Pros for some new students starting in my department. I'm cloning all the harddrives so they have particular software installed already.

I would like them to be able to set up their own user accounts and to go through the initial set up, but without losing installed information (since the installs are already 'clean').

I've been told its possible to achieve something like this via terminal commands but havent found anything so far, does anyone have any ideas/links?

From what I gather, I'd have to start up in "single user mode" and I suppose erase the account I used to originally configure the mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Dredging this up somewhat, would anyone happen to know why the macs I formatted are experiencing networking issues - I dont know if it's related to my original query??

All 10 Macs are identical (Mid 2012, 13" MBPs), one mac was set up with all the software the new students would need,and an image of the hard drive made. The other macs were reformatted with this image, then the process in the above link followed to remove my setup account.

The macs seem to fail to connect to some networks, and an exclamation mark sits on the airport icon. It gets weirder, as some of the macs get perfectly good internet and network connections - yet the ! remains?

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.