Regarding front camera coverage area during mobile webcam chat

Reaction score
Plz tell me coverage area covered by a mobile front camera during video call on mobile. Is it captures an object situated besides the chatting person & mobile at a 2meter distance? If smartphone is of samsung, then I mean to ask, suppose A & B (A is also walking slowly while on video call) are doing video calling. And A's friend is standing at 2 meter on the right side of A. Whether B will be able to see A's friend parallely with A on his video chat screen (at B's location).

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to understand your question... I think you're asking about the "field of vision" that the iSight camera has on your Mac? The field of vision for example with my 2013 27" iMac camera at 2 meters is actually quite good. If the lighting is bright enough, the field of vision will be at least one meter on either side of the object in front of the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Maybe. Maybe not. That depends on the angle; any obstructions in the way (like the person doing the chatting); perhaps the size of the object; and so on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe. Maybe not. That depends on the angle; any obstructions in the way (like the person doing the chatting); perhaps the size of the object; and so on.

And size of the person taking up the FOV . .

OP
V
Reaction score
background & surrounding light regarding video call on mobile

Suppose A is doing video call on mobile with B. And A's friend is present at 1 to 1.5 meter distance from A.
If A's friend present in poor lighting, then whether B will be able to see A's friend with A(on B's mobile screen)?

Next situation, suppose A and A's friend both are in slowly moving condition, and A's friend is in average lighting, whether B will be able to see A's friend on B's mobile screen. And if A's mobile screen size is 6 inch long.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm trying to understand your question... I think you're asking about the "field of vision" that the iSight camera has on your Mac? .

Charlie, I took a different slant on this. I thought the OP was talking about a video call on a mobile device and wanted to know about FOV, depth of view etc from the front camera whilst making the call?? Maybe not?

Perhaps the OP can clarify this for us?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
FOV = field of view.

Honestly, the best way to figure out what this is for the conditions that you're in is to simply test it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Charlie, I took a different slant on this. I thought the OP was talking about a video call on a mobile device and wanted to know about FOV, depth of view etc from the front camera whilst making the call?? Maybe not?

Perhaps the OP can clarify this for us?

Ian

yes, talking was about a video call, but i don't know about FOV & depth of view.....
what is OP?
I did not post the same question twice, both are interrelated, but different.... on moving condition as well as lighting conditions.....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
It's hard to answer this question without knowing anything about the context. The distance from the camera, lighting and any obstructions will all affect what the FOV is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.