Refurbished quality

Reaction score
I'm planning to pick up a MBP 13 and have been looking at the refurbished units on apple's website. I have read many posts confirming the 'as new' performance of the refurbished units and considering the full warranty it's a pretty good deal.

But what I'm wondering is the quality/standards for the cosmetics of the refurbished units. Things such as wear and scratches on the outer case, keyboard and trackpad.

Has anyone gotten a refurbished unit that actually looked used? Or are the refurb's just like new?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
the refurbs are in my opinion better than new, as they have been completely gone through by techs, and not just packaged off a line. my mbp is refurbed, and there was no difference between mine and a brand new one, except the box it came in. any pieces that exhibit wear and tear are replaced, and the unit is tested before it goes out. same macbook pro, same warranty should anything go wrong, and it was hands on tested before coming to you. it's all good! like i said, the refurbs are better than new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook 2.4 C2D/2gb/250 hd
I never have had a refurbed mac but I used to sell cell phones and our refurbished models always had less issues then the new models. I think you will be happy with a refurb.

Reaction score
same warranty should anything go wrong, and it was hands on tested before coming to you. it's all good! like i said, the refurbs are better than new.

hmmm really? i thought refuurbs had a stricter warranty [that you couldnt change your hdd or memory at allm without voiding the warranty] ....however i am not sure ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I thought that was for all apple computers? Just keep your original pieces around, duh!

Reaction score
I just got my Pro for $999 and love it. It came with 4g of ram and 250 hd. It was supposed to have 2g/160hd. I got lucky. My buddy got the same exact one for $1500 new. There is not a scratch on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
IMO, refurbs are much better. If you arent picky like a few people about not having the fancy box, they are a very good deal with all the same contents a new Mac would have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
hmmm really? i thought refuurbs had a stricter warranty [that you couldnt change your hdd or memory at allm without voiding the warranty] ....however i am not sure ;-)

nope, no limitations. in fact apple now supplies the instructions to do just that.
the warranty on the refurb is exactly the same as the new.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
T
Reaction score
Apple supplies the instructions to replace the hdd and ram in the box? Does that mean you can upgrade yourself without voiding the warranty? I suspect if that's possible you'd have to use apple certified parts which are more expensive than others. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Reaction score
I have bought both a 13"MBP and a Mac Mini refurbished. Both looked brand new out of the box. I couldn't tell the difference. The warranty is the same... the only difference is the price. It's the only way I'll buy mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.