Refurb dilemna opinion valued...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipad mini 16g 13" Macbook Air 80g Snow Leopard ipod nano 8g 11" Macbook Air 128 g Mountain Lion
I currently run a Macbook Air and I get anxious about taking it out as despite some, reasonably disciplined backing up, I would hate to lose it have it stolen etc...it's 13" so it's also a little large....an opportunity has come up on the UK Mac store to pick up a refurb Air 11" Oct 2010 model 64G Flashdrive 2G memory model that I could use as my real portable....that or a new ipad 2....any feedback suggestions appreciated a my procrastination is becoming toxic....:D

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A 13" MacBook Air is a "little large"...come on...are you serious? Next you're going to say it's heavy as well!;) If there wasn't an 11" MacBook Air to choose from (which there wasn't 12 months ago)...would you even be considering this?

So what is your is dilemma...are you concerned about buying a refurbished MacBook Air? I wouldn't be...Apple refurbished computers are just like new...and you get the full 12 month Applecare with it (just like new computers).

By the way...this 11" MacBook Air you're thinking of purchasing may be worth more money than your 13" MacBook Air (depending on the 13" MBA model).

And if you're concerned about your MBA getting stolen...the smaller it is the easier it is to steal. So an 11" MBA will be easier to steal than a 13"...and the 11" MBA you might be purchasing may be worth more than your 13".

If it were me...I would just stick with the 13" MBA you have...and use it as your "real portable". But of course you're not me!;)...and if you do still want to get this 11" MBA...go for it...nothing wrong with Apple Refurbs!:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
as pigoo says, if you really want that macBook air then dont be put off by the fact that's its a refurb, they have a very good reputation with the refurb store and back it up will a new warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.2ghz i7 quadcore 8gbRAM 750gbHD 1.0gbVRAM Radeon 6570M iPod Touch 4G 32gb iPhone 4S
A 13" MacBook Air is a "little large"...come on...are you serious? Next you're going to say it's heavy as well!;) If there wasn't an 11" MacBook Air to choose from (which there wasn't 12 months ago)...would you even be considering this?

So what is your is dilemma...are you concerned about buying a refurbished MacBook Air? I wouldn't be...Apple refurbished computers are just like new...and you get the full 12 month Applecare with it (just like new computers).

By the way...this 11" MacBook Air you're thinking of purchasing may be worth more money than your 13" MacBook Air (depending on the 13" MBA model).

And if you're concerned about your MBA getting stolen...the smaller it is the easier it is to steal. So an 11" MBA will be easier to steal than a 13"...and the 11" MBA you might be purchasing may be worth more than your 13".

If it were me...I would just stick with the 13" MBA you have...and use it as your "real portable". But of course you're not me!;)...and if you do still want to get this 11" MBA...go for it...nothing wrong with Apple Refurbs!:)

HTH,

- Nick

couldn't agree with Nick more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Yeah the refurbs you buy directly from Apple is alright. Good battery and in some cases it seems like they put in new batteries. Not confirmed though.

Of course you wont get it in a brand new shiny box but you still get the computer. In the end, that is the most important thing right?

Getting your Mac stolen is not something you would want. You could check out software like http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/ for example.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipad mini 16g 13" Macbook Air 80g Snow Leopard ipod nano 8g 11" Macbook Air 128 g Mountain Lion
Thanks for the feedback.....it's not the refurb issue my current Air is a refurb...and I know i shouldn't be anxoius about "porting" my Air...but i am and i forgive myself....:)ha ha...it's the value question really......would the ipad 2 at about £200 less do what i'm looking for, i.e. have a , less anxious, portable.....:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
The iPad could work for you, it all depends on what you are planning to do with your computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the feedback.....it's not the refurb issue my current Air is a refurb...and I know i shouldn't be anxoius about "porting" my Air...but i am and i forgive myself....:)ha ha...it's the value question really......would the ipad 2 at about £200 less do what i'm looking for, i.e. have a , less anxious, portable.....:D

Based on your initial post...if the 11" MBA being a refurb. is not the issue what is?

What is your main issue using your existing 13" MBA? I really hate for someone to spend a lot of extra money when they already own a portable solution.:)

As far as the iPad2. The iPads are not a laptop/notebook replacement. Like "Strukt" mentioned...it all depends on your portable device needs.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.