Refurb Black MacBook Core Duo. Is it worth it?

Reaction score
Apple.com has a refurb MacBook for $999 with 2GHZ Core Duo and 512MB memory, and a 80GB HDD. Since this is a core duo, this unit must have been used for awhile before it was returned. Is it worth saving the $500 or so to get a Core Duo? I plan on installing 2GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Cor 2 Duo 2G Ram/ 80GB HD White with SuperDrive
You definately want the extra RAM. 512MB is just not enough these days. Why not take a look at the new MacBooks with teh Core 2 Duos in them. I purchased my from MacMall with Parrallels and WinXp pre-installed for around $1,300 after rebates.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
You definately want the extra RAM. 512MB is just not enough these days. Why not take a look at the new MacBooks with teh Core 2 Duos in them. I purchased my from MacMall with Parrallels and WinXp pre-installed for around $1,300 after rebates.

Was it a black macbook ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it was white, which I like better, but they black was around the same price. I think the white actually show less grim than the black, but it is all a matter of preferance.

Reaction score
I bought a refurb CD macbook in December. It was the 2Ghz model and the gave me one with 80 gig HD rather than the 60. I upgraded the ram myself to 2Gig, and have been very pleased with it. It's super fast (except for photoshop.....until CS3 comes out). Aside from that i've had no complaints with it. I got mine for 800 USD, and just couldn't resist the price.

Some people want the latest and greatest, but i'm okay with the CD rather than the C2D. I'd rather save the money. I usually upgrade laptops every 2-3 years, and this should do me fine until my next upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a refurb CD macbook in December. It was the 2Ghz model and the gave me one with 80 gig HD rather than the 60. I upgraded the ram myself to 2Gig, and have been very pleased with it. It's super fast (except for photoshop.....until CS3 comes out). Aside from that i've had no complaints with it. I got mine for 800 USD, and just couldn't resist the price.

Some people want the latest and greatest, but i'm okay with the CD rather than the C2D. I'd rather save the money. I usually upgrade laptops every 2-3 years, and this should do me fine until my next upgrade.

Have you ever experienced heat issues with your Core Duo? I heard that they had a problem with that and that the Core 2 Duos did much better at staying cool.

Reaction score
Have you ever experienced heat issues with your Core Duo? I heard that they had a problem with that and that the Core 2 Duos did much better at staying cool.

Well, honestly, it does get warm under the laptop....hot...no. If the laptop is on my desk, then them bottom is just slightly warm. From the temp. monitor on my widgets, I see that the enclosure is at 31 degrees celcius, which is quite good. If the macbook is on my lap, or on my bed, then yes it is a bit warmer, but not to the point that I can't handle it.

Now, it does get warmer as you do more processing, such as photoshop. I notice that the enclosure warms up to 41-45 degrees celcius, but again, it's not to the point that I can't handle it.

A co-worker of mine has the C2D version, and yes his runs a bit cooler, but for me, the $500 savings was much more worth it. Most of the time my book is on my desk or table, so the heat does not play an issue.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.