Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I am thinking about doing this:

Buying a refurb Macbook (2.0 GHZ + 1GB Ram) + Apple Care = $1,371.74

Getting this memory= $167.99

Good idea? I talked with an Apple Expert:

* You are chatting with Andrew , an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Andrew . How may I help you today?

Andrew : Hi! How are you?

You: Hi, good and you?

You: sorry that was really quick! lol

Andrew : I am doing well.

Andrew : Would you like help with your shopping?

You: Yes please I have a question about Macbook/Applecare

You: I was looking at the refurbished Macbooks, and unfortunatly I couldnt find any with 2 GB of memory. I definatly want to get Applecare to extend the warranty to 3 years.

Andrew : I am happy to help with that.

Andrew : Because the refurbished items are boxed and ready to ship, we are unable to customize them.

You: Now, suppose I were to purchase a memory upgrade from a website such as crucial.com and install the extra memory myself, would I void the applecare? If so, I might as well buy a new one with 2GB of memory

Andrew : Refurbished systems are only available with the base configuration.

Andrew : Installing RAM wont void the warranty on our systems.

Andrew : If you install Crucial RAM, the Crucial RAM wont be covered by the AppleCare.

You: Obviously, that makes sense, but I wouldnt have to worry about voiding the rest of my applecare correct?

You: Thanks for your help. Also could you tell me, once you purchase a refurb macbook, do you still have the year to purchase the applecare as you do with new systems?

Andrew : You can purchase AppleCare for up to 1 year from the purchase date of a refurbished Mac, as well.

You: wow, thats pretty neat. so let me get this right, if i install ram from somewhere else, my applecare (with exception of the ram) is still fine, right?

Andrew : Yes.

You: Awesome, thanks for your help Andew!

Andrew : Were you planning on ordering your new Mac today?

You: Sadly no, I have to survive until next Friday on a PC, I am counting down the days until salvation.

Andrew : Great!

Andrew : Is there anything else I can help you with?

You: Nope you got it all! Thanks a bunch =)

Whatcha all think? Anyone buy refurb and have a good experience? A bad one? They aren't like scratched up or anything are they? If I get a good response from you guys...I may order tonight! =)

Reaction score
I just ordered a refurb and it should get here on Saturday. I'm new to mac bought my first on about a month ago. 20" imac. I love the **** thing. In my job to have a laptop will be a great help. Of course I need a desktop too. I can't wait. I did go cheap on the macbook took the 1.8 duo 2 and 512 ram. I'll run word and firefox. I bet I'll see more ram very soon. I just need to pay down these 2 first.

Joe

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
The only reason I am considering the refurb is the price. I am a student and this is a big purchase for me. Saving a few hundred bucks is a big deal. And I figure with Applecare for 3 years, I have the same protection I do with a new Macbook, so whats the difference?

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Its tempting but now I'm scared of something happening with RAM from somewhere else and affecting the rest of my mac, leaving me with the applecare without any ground to stand on.

Its only a 100 bucks cheaper after the upgrade, and while 100 extra bucks would be nice, I'd rather have the peice of mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
why not go with a refurb? you get the same warranty you would get if you bought it new.. The chances of your ram messing something else up in your mac is VERY VERY slim.. A few apple genius fellows have told me that they have safe guards against that.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
why not go with a refurb? you get the same warranty you would get if you bought it new.. The chances of your ram messing something else up in your mac is VERY VERY slim.. A few apple genius fellows have told me that they have safe guards against that.

I know I know! I rreally want it too. I have memory from that site on my PC and it works like a charm. But if I did that it would be in the back of my mind driving me crazy.

Reaction score
I was also thinking about getting a refurb, but since Apple Store charges tax, I can get a brand new MB on Amazon for the same price!

Apple.com refurb Black Macbook - $1,299 + $103.92 (tax for me) = $1,402.99

Amazon.com New Black Macbook - $1,499 -$100 MIR + $0 tax = $1,399

Check Amazon first to see if you get a better deal :)

QUESTION:

Since the Black MacBook comes with 1GB of RAM, would my warranty be voided if I sell the 1GB and put 2GB in ? I'm curious what would happen if I have to send my laptop in for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Go for the refurb. Ram very rarely causes any problems to a machine that can't be corrected by simply taking the ram out. There are no guarantees that the ram apple installs in-house is any better or worse than third party ram. Besides how do you know that apple ram isn't made by the same people that make crucial or transcend ram, and just sell it direcly to apple. There are no guarantees against any product being faulty. Applecare will still be in effect, the warranty that you get from whomever you buy the ram from will be in effect and you will end up saving quite a bit of money. I LOVE my refurb. Absolutely love it. My third party ram is awesome and I was able to put the money I saved towards other things. Go for the refurb. You won't be disappointed.
Adding-subtracting-removing-buying-selling ram does not void applecare in any way whatsoever.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I know, the chances of the RAM hurting it are almost non existant. But if I drop over a thousand dollars on a system I want to know the whole thing is covered. I have pretty much the worst luck of all time. In the past 4 years my car has been ran over (by a hummer), backed into (by a suburban while) and stolen.

I think the extra 100 bucks might be worth the peice of mind.

Unless of course I really dont need 2 GB of ram. Then again it never hurts. I'll be burning dvds and using dashboard, so I would like it. But I see no reason to have it if its really just overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, the chances of the RAM hurting it are almost non existant. But if I drop over a thousand dollars on a system I want to know the whole thing is covered. I have pretty much the worst luck of all time. In the past 4 years my car has been ran over (by a hummer), backed into (by a suburban while) and stolen.

Unless of course I really dont need 2 GB of ram. Then again it never hurts. I'll be burning dvds and using dashboard, so I would like it. But I see no reason to have it if its really just overkill.

if all that stands in your way of a good night sleep is $100 I suggest you go new.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thats what I was thinking too. Thanks for putting up with me KoDorSean =)

Reaction score

Most RAM comes with Lifetime warranty, so you shouldn't worry about it breaking.

Checkout Amazon like I said in my previous post. They also sell the Applecare plan for $50 less than Apple.com :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
techmonkey has a great point.. you can find applecare cheaper.. amazon/ebay.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I got the student discount for around the same price as amazon =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
check prices on ebay..

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I Did It!!!!

Thank you for your order.

We’re processing it now. You will receive an email confirmation shortly.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
Part Number: FA700LL/A
Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
80GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
Accessory Kit
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 $1,099.00 $1,099.

I figured with the same protection as if it were new, I might as well get the refurbished one. Espically when I can get the 3 year protection, why pay more? If the memory doesn't meet my needs for some reason I can always upgrade.

Thank you all for putting up with me and taking the time to answer my questions, you all have been extremely helpful. You will see me around these forums daily I assure you. And hopefully one day I'll be able to give some one a hand.

Thanks Again!

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2GHz 1GB RAM 120GB HDD
nice price, i didnt know refurbs were that cheap.. i wish i didnt get new now. i paid 1299 with the same specs except i have black with 120gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.