Refreshing Harddrive

Reaction score
I recently refreshed my hard drive due to issues with computer and printer not talking to each other. Now I am having a difficult time reloading all of my programs that I saved on DVD-R's as back ups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I guess you mean you reinstalled OS X?
Do you have a Time Machine backup? It is very easy to restore application from Time Machine. Some applications like Microsoft Office do require re-entering registration key. Many other applications have frameworks, libraries, preferences, etc that are installed in other folder locations.
If you don't have a Time Machine backup, it's probably better to reinstall from the original source.

(PS - it would have been easier to tell us the problem before reinstalling, so we could help you.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Macs do not reqire reinstalls like Windows machines with Registries. Sounds like no external hard dive backups and a DVD will have troubles transfering large programs like Office etc. Keep the original dics handy with the activation codes.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment, I do have a hard drive backup which I was told to disconnect until all reinstalls were complete. I did back up all files on DVD-R, although I have since discovered that my 6,820 photos from i-photo never copied, so guessing I will be starting from scratch with those.
My major problem right now is still my brand new printer which I thought was working fine except for no communication with computer before reinstall and now will do nothing. Went back to what I thought would be the thing to do and re-installed printer software per instructions, but still no printer showing up, just all downloads on my doc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try this with the printer.

Any Mac compatible DVD come with it? If so run that. Power up the printer and connect via USB. Go into Printers & Scanners in System Preferences and hit the little (+) button and see if the printer comes up in the l.h. pane and connects.

Keep us posted?

OP
F
Reaction score
Printer

thanks, I will try that and let you know how it works out. So happy to have some help, so lost without printer. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try this with the printer.

Any Mac compatible DVD come with it? If so run that. Power up the printer and connect via USB. Go into Printers & Scanners in System Preferences and hit the little (+) button and see if the printer comes up in the l.h. pane and connects.

Keep us posted?

For basic printing/scanning with recent Mac OS X versions, I've always read that one should not usually use the included DVD install software, unless it includes some special apps to use.

The OS X should download any needed printer software when the printer is connected.

And heck, our recent Canon Pixma wireless AIO didn't even need to be connected with any cable and still hasn't been. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score
I guess you mean you reinstalled OS X?
Do you have a Time Machine backup? It is very easy to restore application from Time Machine. Some applications like Microsoft Office do require re-entering registration key. Many other applications have frameworks, libraries, preferences, etc that are installed in other folder locations.
If you don't have a Time Machine backup, it's probably better to reinstall from the original source.

(PS - it would have been easier to tell us the problem before reinstalling, so we could help you.)
I do have a Time Machine, but don't understand how it works, guess I am technically challenged. Tried doing the System Preference suggestion, it says my printer is in Paused/Idle mode. Tried pushing the + button and then tried the scanner, and got a message "Communication Error check if the computer is connected". Tried pushing the WPS and setting up the WiFi connection, that didn't work either. Totally frustrated at this point. Guess being technically challenged doesn't help. Should I trash all of the downloads that are sitting in my dock right now from the Printer Software that I tried installing. The funny part about those instructions was that it said to disconnect the printer from the computer before beginning the download, isn't that weird ?

OP
F
Reaction score
When I open Time Machine, and click on Set up Time Machine, put button on "On" click on Select Back up disk, I get a drop down "Other AirPort Time Capsule" with no other options. What do I do from here ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd suggest you do some checking on using Time Machine with whatever compatible drives or backup devices you have available and maybe start with Apple's site:
10 Tips for Using Time Machine | Mac|Life

Apple's Time Capsules can be a bit different to using other connected or available drives or devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.