Reducing window size

Reaction score
For some reason when in an application and I want to reduce the screen size all I needed to do was click on the screen and move the curser to the edge of the screen and the curser would change to a 2 double arrow curser and I would then just drag the edge of the screen to reduce its size but this has now stopped ie the curser does not change and I cannot therefor reduce the screen size?
Regards Ray

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab the Rectangle app and you can use shortcuts to size your window however you want, entire screen, right half, left half, right top quarter, etc.

Resizing by using the border also works as long as you aren't in full-screen mode (where you lose the menu bar and Dock). In this case, you'll have to get out of full-screen mode and then resize. But apps like Rectangle are faster to achieve what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
For some reason when in an application and I want to reduce the screen size all I needed to do was click on the screen and move the curser to the edge of the screen and the curser would change to a 2 double arrow curser and I would then just drag the edge of the screen to reduce its size but this has now stopped ie the curser does not change and I cannot therefor reduce the screen size?
Regards Ray
It still works that way. Is it possible the app in question is full screen? If so, you can move the cursor to the top right corner and click on the green dot to exit full screen, then resizing will work on that window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It still works that way. Is it possible the app in question is full screen? If so, you can move the cursor to the top right corner and click on the green dot to exit full screen, then resizing will work on that window.
or hit the esc key

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.