recovery partition w/o InstallESD.DMG file

Reaction score
Hello, guys.

I have done clean install for my MacBook, and found out that recovery partition has been disappeared.
I have researched and found out that I need InstallESD.dmg file from Original Installation .APP file but I don't have it and also cound not find it from the DMG file I downloaded, which was OS X 10.9.2 base system.DMG

So, is there another way to build recovery partition w/o InstallESD.dmg file or download original 10.9.2 Installation .APP? (Only Version I could download is now 10.9.5 but I need 10.9.2)
Or Can I build it by myself from that OSX 10.9.2 base system.DMG file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
.dmg file? Where did you get it?

If you downloaded Mvericks from the App Store originally it will be in the Purchases section and you can download it again, format the drive and run the Installer.

Trust the .dmg was not from an unauthorised source?

OP
H
Reaction score
Thing is, my MacBook comes with Mavericks so I don't have a purchase record
I upgrade to Yosemite by mistake and I wanted to roll back everything to Mavericks 10.9.2 version, so I got the file from the friend...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I believe the 10.9.5 installation would recreate the recovery partition but you should be able to get the correct 10.9.2 file from Apple if I understood the tech document correctly
If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased.

See here

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thing is, my MacBook comes with Mavericks so I don't have a purchase record
I upgrade to Yosemite by mistake and I wanted to roll back everything to Mavericks 10.9.2 version, so I got the file from the friend...

Follow the directions given by Moderator Slydude above. And... do not use an unauthorized copy of Mavericks. (That's why you have no recovery partition.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And it will be in your friend's Apple ID and you will never be able to update etc without his Apple ID password. Ownership stays with he/she who downloads it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point Harry. I didn't think to mention that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.