Recovering Data off Old iPhone with No Digitizer

Reaction score
Hello Mac-Forums,

I have come here because I am running out of options.

I have a 3GS with 4.1.3.
On the motherboard the clip for the #-3 flex cable (that operates the digitizer/screen) is damaged and can not be repaired by myself.
In turn the digitizer and screen does not work.
This phone has never been interfaced with my iTunes and has a 4 digit lock.

Is there any way to recover data off this phone? Such as contacts and voice memos.

As further explanation the phone was used as a 'home' phone for its life so it never needed to be synced for anything.
Also it had a problem upgrading its software, so 4.1.3 is where it stayed.
Normally I would say that it would be very impossible to rip data from this phone, but considering the older software I am hopeful there may be a back door.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can somehow get past the 4 digit lock code, then there are several ways to get data off the phone. However, I don't know how you're going to get past that lock since the digitizer is not working. Have the phone repaired is the only solution I can offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this one. You might also look around locally as many small cell phone repair shops also repair iPhones.

OP
H
Reaction score
Maybe give iMazing and/or iExplorer or similar apps a try to access and salvage what you need.

No both iExplorer and iMazing work threw iTunes and need a pass code. Thanks for the suggestion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
H
Reaction score
Assuming I can't find/afford a repair shop; I'm thinking about restoring the phone to factory defaults and then attempting to recover the data.

If I restore the phone will I need to use the screen to attempt data recovery?

I know all software is different, but I'm just throwing the question out there if anyone knows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe you can restore the iPhone without accessing the passcode. Kind of a catch 22. Sorry, but it looks like either repair it or forget about the data. And even if the restore works, your data will be gone as it's just like re-formatting a hard drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
No both iExplorer and iMazing work threw iTunes and need a pass code. Thanks for the suggestion

Hmmm…??? That's a bit strange then as I just connected my iPad via USB and started my iMazing.app, and nearly everything I'd want to access is available and no iTunes is running anywhere and my iPad is showing the automated "slide to unlock" message.

Anyway, just saying what I see… ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmmm…??? That's a bit strange

I'm paraphrasing because I don't know exactly what I am talking about. Go ahead and quote that last bit. But I do know that these softwares use some Apple software or things supplied by the software, such as drivers. iMazing even prompts me that I should install several Apple Support software and things like Bonjour before usage. iExplorer wouldn't even run without iTunes installed. So something is needed from it.

I don't have every piece of Apple software installed on my computer so I tend to run face first into these issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt itunes will seriously go line by line erasing all the data on this phone. More likely it will just delete the file directory. If I can restore it I think I can recover the data. But that's a last ditch effort.

This isn't OS X we're referring to. A reset of an iOS device (which your iPhone is) will wipe the data clean and install the latest version of iOS your iPhone can take. That process will overwrite anything that exists on the iPhone. I've done resets many times and I can tell you that is exactly what will happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.