Recording Audio From Preamplifier RCA Output To USB-C On Macbook Air M1?

JimCreek

Reaction score
I have Audacity software on my Macbook Air M1. I have to find a way to input audio from my stereo preamplifier to my Macbook Air to convert the audio on vinyl records to digital audio (i.e. WAV files). I have seen RCA to USB-C adapter cables. Can I use that adapter cable going from my preamp’s RCA output to the USB-C port on my Macbook Air to record on Audacity software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Could you post a link to one of the RCA to USB-C adapter cables you've been looking at? I need to see what it consists of.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to feed analog audio directly into (or out of) any variant of USB connector. USB deals with digital information only: in order to feed the audio in, you'd have to pass the signals through an ADC (Analog-to-digital converter) unit en route.

Hence my question about the design of those cables. If they incorporate an ADC, you should be good to go. If not, you're dead in the water.

Again, the above is only to the best of my knowledge. I'm not experienced with USB-C. If anyone here has better info on this, I'm sure they will speak up! :)

OP
J

JimCreek

Reaction score
Could you post a link to one of the RCA to USB-C adapter cables you've been looking at? I need to see what it consists of.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to feed analog audio directly into (or out of) any variant of USB connector. USB deals with digital information only: in order to feed the audio in, you'd have to pass the signals through an ADC (Analog-to-digital converter) unit en route.

Hence my question about the design of those cables. If they incorporate an ADC, you should be good to go. If not, you're dead in the water.

Again, the above is only to the best of my knowledge. I'm not experienced with USB-C. If anyone here has better info on this, I'm sure they will speak up! :)
Hi, thanks for responding to my post. I have been doing some researching and found this: The DigitNow Audio Capture Card. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079CBGDST/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I now realize that analog audio cannot be fed directly to my Macbook Air’s USB C port. The above DigitNow device digitizes the analog audio so it may work with my Macbook Air. I ordered one and will report here as to how it works.

krs

Reaction score
I bought this USB to Audio adapter a while back since it seems later Mac Minis no longer have an audio input like my 2012 Mini.
Seems to work fine, but I think it's only mono on the audio input side and it has a USB-A connector.
But for my purposes that is fine and one can't go far wrong at $12 Canadian.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L56C28R/

Maybe that company has a version with a stereo input and a USB-C connector, or even with a USB-A connector since one can always use a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

PS: I took a quick look on the net.
The company whose adapter I have doesn't make a stereo in/USB-C adapter but others do.
So it's just a matter of picking one with the right type of connectors - and as Horsa said - the adapter must have an A/D converter in it.
Maybe post a link here of the unit you picked to get some feedback before you buy it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Hi, thanks for responding to my post. I have been doing some researching and found this: The DigitNow Audio Capture Card. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079CBGDST/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I now realize that analog audio cannot be fed directly to my Macbook Air’s USB C port. The above DigitNow device digitizes the analog audio so it may work with my Macbook Air. I ordered one and will report here as to how it works.
Note: The item you have linked to appears to have the old rectangular USB plug on it. It won't be suitable for the USB-C ports on your Macbook. You'll need an adapter as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

That adapter you chose looks like it should do the job. It does have USB-A, so don't forget to use an A-to-C adapter also. (EDIT: duh... just saw Horsa made the same observation!)

OP
J

JimCreek

Reaction score
The DigitNow USB Audio Capture Card works great with the Macbook Air M1. It comes with freeware Audacity software on mini CD. I downloaded it online instead to make sure I got the latest version. The DigitNow has an USB-A connector which will require either a USB-A to USB-C adapter or a USB hub with the required connectors. I connected the DigitNow female RCA pigtail directly to my Schiit Saga preamp.

The Audacity software is not the most intuitive so there is a learning curve. It took me about an hour to set everything up and start digitizing some vinyl. The Macbook comes with the native app called Garage Band which is also capable of digitizing vinyl. The DigitNow is cheap, about $15. I can recommend it.

Attachments

• E7A697F8-DB90-4D14-822D-3A490A2A7B83.jpeg
    E7A697F8-DB90-4D14-822D-3A490A2A7B83.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • EEE3AAA9-BA13-4209-A429-BE2B3375676E.jpeg
    EEE3AAA9-BA13-4209-A429-BE2B3375676E.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.