• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recommended Mac Pro specs for video editing

Reaction score
I am considering getting a Mac Pro tower for video editing with the Final Cut Suite. Right now I use an iBook G4, but as you can imagine it is slow with rendering and other processor intensive tasks.

What specs would you recommend for a Mac Pro setup? I know you can max out the RAM and hard drives, but how much is really necessary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
what is your level of professionalism... do you edit your home videos? do you edit weddings/ other events? are you a free lance editor for MTV? a little bit more information would help us better recommend specs.

OP
S
Reaction score
My level of editing

I do weddings, short commercials for inventions or businesses, and brief 10-15 min promos or full DVDs for non-profits. I am not quite a freelancer for MTV, but I do pretty high quality videos.

Hope the info helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally would recommend the fastest processor you can afford - first - especially for encoding tasks - this you'll never regret

For the RAM - you can get after market 2GB kits for less than the upgrade from 1 to 2 GB from Apple. Would start there and watch your RAM usage. If you are pretty consistently using 80% +, then would opt for another 2GB kit. Think at 4GB, this should handle pretty much anything you throw at it with negligible gains with any more than this.

Don't have a Mac Pro and am new to Apple so I don't know how you set this up, so am speaking from just a plain hardware enthusiast perspective here. Would set up a system disk for your OS, and then a RAID 0 with a couple of drives that would be used for your video work. And of course, separate drive(s) for back up would probably be pretty important for you.

Of course, unless you have plenty of $$ you have to weigh the options between the processors and proper hard drive set ups. Just remember - processor is expensive upgrade option down the road and you then have one sitting around or having to try to e-bay it, while RAM and hard drives are pretty cheap upgrades down the road.

Reaction score
Are you shooting DV or HD? If you are shooting DV, then a mac pro with less than 4GB ram will do very well. Since you are doing this for profit, I assume, you dont want to waste your time with long renders and stuff. You probability want to get some external hard drive (500+ GB for starting...)
If you are shooting HD, you should buy as much Ram as you can afford. And you probability should get 2 or 3 500+GB drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
yea if your doing HD work make sure your mac pro is at lest 2.6ghz or higher, that makes a big diff. A high end video card is something you will need to 256mb will do it.

OP
S
Reaction score
What about Video Cards?

What's the difference with Video Cards? I know there's a lot of options, but what do you really need?

Also, how many external hard drives do I need. Right now I use a 320 and 500 GB Lacie drives, but I'd like to just buy an enclosure or two and just pop them into one of the Mac Pro bays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.