Recommendations for photo storing system.

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out iPhoto for some ten years now and it only gets worse. Please recommend a photo
storing/sharing system that makes sense.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It might help us a bit if you told us what things about iPhoto are proving difficult to understand. Perhaps then we could point to specific apps that address those issues.

It would also help to know your Mac's specs.

OP
B
Reaction score
It might help us a bit if you told us what things about iPhoto are proving difficult to understand. Perhaps then we could point to specific apps that address those issues.

It would also help to know your Mac's specs.

My problem is that iPhoto is not intuitive enough, especially as it concerns transferring images back and forth to Facebook.

I do a lot of transferring images… photos, event flyers, etc. from iPhoto to Facebook, and from Facebook to iPhoto for eight motorcycle group and event sites.
My main frustration is when I click “add photo” in Facebook I have to get a pounding headache before I finally find a way to find the picture in the window that will allow me to open it in Facebook.
For instance, my images are in the IPhoto Library but I can’t access it when I try to add a photo this way. The photos that do come up for selection have no rhyme or reason to them as to why iPhoto selected them.

However, like all things computer…..since I wrote that post to the forum I came up with what I hope is a solution.
Instead of coming from Facebook to iPhoto with “Add Photo”, “Add Album”, etc. I can first find the image in iPhoto (which is easy) then send it to Facebook via “Share” from iPhoto. Once it is in Facebook I think I can manipulate it however I need to. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Instead of coming from Facebook to iPhoto with “Add Photo”, “Add Album”, etc. I can first find the image in iPhoto (which is easy) then send it to Facebook via “Share” from iPhoto. Once it is in Facebook I think I can manipulate it however I need to. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Well, Apple is going to discontinue iPhoto soon (one of many google hits HERE), so a new Photos app will soon become available - will it be more intuitive - don't know?

For me, I also dislike using iPhoto and keep my images organized w/i the 'Pictures' folder of Finder, but I don't do a lot of image transfers.

SO, you might just wait for the new photo app to appear and see if it is more to your liking? Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
However, like all things computer…..since I wrote that post to the forum I came up with what I hope is a solution.

I think that will do the trick though I'm not a Facebook user.

If that does not work try the following:
1. Launch iPhoto and select the photos you want to export.
2. Choose Export from the File menu.
3. At the next screen you can choose the filetype and make other adjustments as needed.
4.Click Next and choose a convenient place to save the file.

Now from within Facebook you should be able to choose the files to upload.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
From iPhoto, you can also drag the photos to your desktop and upload them to Facebook from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I can first find the image in iPhoto (which is easy) then send it to Facebook via “Share” from iPhoto.
Yes, you can do that. The disadvantage is that if the delete the photo from iPhoto, it also gets deleted from Facebook as well.

From iPhoto, you can also drag the photos to your desktop and upload them to Facebook from there.
That's my preferred way.

Reaction score
pixelmator and iPhoto together without both it gets tricky however if you want to store photo's a i recommend a my book cloud they work with mac there easy to install and use and they store quickly

OP
B
Reaction score
I think that will do the trick though I'm not a Facebook user.

If that does not work try the following:
1. Launch iPhoto and select the photos you want to export.
2. Choose Export from the File menu.
3. At the next screen you can choose the filetype and make other adjustments as needed.
4.Click Next and choose a convenient place to save the file.

Now from within Facebook you should be able to choose the files to upload.

Slydude,

This helped me tremendously in getting my photos from iPhoto to my forums (Facebook is a different matter) and I figure I'll find other places in the future where this will be nice to know.
I am stubborn and I thought I was going to bust a vessel trying to do it myself....before I took your advice.
I exported the photos to my Timeline photos in iPhoto which I knew I could access. I don't understand why I can't get access to any photo (like in the Library?) when I try to upload a photo to a forum, Facebook, etc.
In the past I've uploaded plenty of photos from iPhoto but I always had to go through an anguishing trial and error gauntlet to do it. It's the most frustrating software I've ever used, but like I said, I'm stubborn.

OP
B
Reaction score
Uploading images from iPhoto

Slydude,

Something just occurred to me since that last post I made. I've been blaming iPhoto for my troubles in trying to upload photos to Facebook, my forums, etc. What occurs to me is when I try to upload a photo from iPhoto to a source I initiate the upload from, maybe it's the source's software I should be blaming instead of iPhoto?
This occurred to me after you gave me the iPhoto export idea. I can't say thanks enough. I've been through a lot of grief over this for some years. I didn't do so much of it in the past but now I do a lot of it and you gave me great news.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.